Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

CHRYSTON, MAIN STREET, CHRYSTON PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) INCLUDING GRAVEYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB49465

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
16/09/2003
Local Authority
North Lanarkshire
Planning Authority
North Lanarkshire
Parish
Cadder
NGR
NS 68873 70154
Coordinates
268873, 670154

Description

David Thomson & Robert Turnbull, 1878. Gothic, broad-plan church with wallhead to S (street) elevation and landmark square-plan tower to SW angle; church linked to substantial 2-storey hall to NW by Davis Duncan Architects, 2003. Snecked and tooled squared rubble; coursed rubble to N; ashlar dressings; base course; string course to entrance elevation. Geometric tracery window over main entrance; plate tracery wheel window to E elevation. Gothic arched windows in breaking eaves gabled dormers to N and S elevations. U-plan gallery and hammerbeam roof to interior.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gable end. Central moulded gothic arched doorway with plain stiff-leaf columnettes and head-stopped hoodmould; 5 narrow steps up to plain 2-leaf timber boarded doors with decorative ironwork hinges; all set within slightly advanced splayed porch with pitched roof and carved crucifix finial. Gothic arched windows with chamfered openings flanking porch. Geometric tracery window set within label-stopped hoodmould above. Apsidal 2-storey stair tower to left. (Church hall linked to stair tower projecting to far left.) Slightly advanced 4-stage tower to right: plain 1st stage with small circular light (blocked, 2003); shouldered 2nd stage with hoodmoulded lancet window; long 3rd stage with small lancet window with round clockface above, separated by shallow projecting ledge; 4th stage bellcote with plate traceried louvered openings; broach stone spire with decorative cast-iron finial. String course linking towers and main elevation, stepped above central porch.

S (STREET) ELEVATION: 6-bays (arranged 1-4-1) with 2-bay single storey vestry and session house to far right. Slightly advanced 4-stage tower to left, same treatment as at W except for pointed-arched chamfered doorway with moulded rectangular door opening, blind trefoil carving to tympanum at 1st stage. 4 bipartite pointed-segmental arched ground floor windows with gothic arched windows in breaking eaves gabled dormers separated by 3 shouldered buttresses (added in 1987 to reinforce bulging walls). Single pointed arched window recessed to right hand bay. Door and bipartite windows to single storey vestry and session house to far right.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building in use as such. This church was built on the original site of the Chapel of Ease erected in 1780 on land formerly belonging to James Gray Snr of Wamflet. The graveyard was established in 1826 on land donated by the proprietor of Millbrae House (to NE of site). After approximately 30 years all the lairs were sold and a direct extension of the graveyard was not thought suitable. As the congregation grew it was deemed necessary to erect a larger church building. The appointed architects were David Thomson (c.1830-1910) and Robert Turnbull (?1839-1905). Turnbull was the successor to Alexander Greek Thomson's Glasgow practice and had taken Robert Turnbull into partnership from 1876 to 1883. The church clock was installed by R & W Sorley, Glasgow in 1884. The stained glass wheel window to the E was gifted by Mrs Agnes Kaye Gray in memory of Robert Kaye of Millbrae and her mother Bertha Aitken. The church was built to accommodate 818 parishoners (486 on the ground and 332 in the gallery). The total cost of the church and contents was #3,920 pounds and it was officially opened on 4 August 1878. The original pulpit and the circa 1902 organ casings were removed in 1974; the pulpit was replaced by that from St Stephen's Church, Cambridge Street, Glasgow (then due for demolition). In 1982 repair work was deemed necessary as the S and N walls were found to be bulging. By 1987 the repairs were complete and had resulted in the reinforcement of roof struts with steel brackets and the addition of masonry buttresses to the N and S elevations. Chryston Parish Church is one of the few remaining 19th century buildings of note in this small village and acts as a distinctive landmark to the area. The interior fixtures and fittings are of good quality and design, in particular the U-plan gallery and the hammerbeam roof which has been used to great decorative effect. Although the church has been extended to the N to include the church hall, this recent design has not unduly : affected the main aspect of the church from the road. The distintictive hall by Glasgow practice, Duncan Davis is a 2-storey, Z-plan building with diagonally opposed block-faced apsidal towers (NE and SW). It displays glazed and smooth render panels, deep overhanging eaves with long metal brackets and a grooved metal rounded roof. To the E there is also a 3-bay, single storey timber ambulatory fronting the N elevation of church.

References

Bibliography

2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1899). N Kidd, THE STORY OF CHRYSTON PARISH CHURCH (1996).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CHRYSTON, MAIN STREET, CHRYSTON PARISH CHURCH (CHURCH OF SCOTLAND) INCLUDING GRAVEYARD, BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 26/05/2022 14:52