Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

TRAQUAIR HOUSE, EAST LODGE INCLUDING GATEPIERS, GATES AND BOUNDARY WALLSLB49399

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - (see NOTES)
Date Added
12/08/2003
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Parish
Traquair
NGR
NT 33257 35335
Coordinates
333257, 635335

Description

1880-1881 for Hon. Henry Constable Maxwell Stuart (16th Laird). 2-storey, irregularly bayed, rectangular-plan hybrid Picturesque/Tudor Gothic lodge with decorative barge-boarding to bracketed gables and circular tower with battlemented parapet on corbel course. Harled and painted (whinstone) with red sandstone ashlar dressings. Deep base course with sloped drip arris, sill and moulded band courses.

SW (DRIVE) ELEVATION: to ground floor right, single storey single squared entrance bay with timber panelled door with rectangular fanlight surmounting, projecting cornice concealing flat-roof; 2-storey round tower rising behind (see SE elevation). To centre, advanced 1?-storey gabled end with central 3-sided canted bay window with piended roof to ground floor; overhanging eaves with decorative wave barge-boarding and heavy decorative timber bracing to gablehead, ball and spike finial surmounting. To left, recessed lean-to (see NW elevation).

SE (ROAD) ELEVATION: to left, 2-storey circular tower with square headed windows to ground floor and arched-headed windows to 1st floor (with blind arrow slit), corbel course with heavy battlemented parapet. To right, gabled end with arch-headed tripartite window to ground floor and similar bipartite to 1st floor, both hoodmoulded; overhanging eaves with decorative wave barge boarding and heavy decorative timber bracing to gablehead, ball and spike finial surmounting.

NW AND NE ELEVATIONS: to NW, single storey lean-to concealing ground floor with 3 regularly placed windows and a timber rear entrance door; rest of elevation blind. Plain NE elevation.

Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows, arched upper sashes to road elevation; 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case window to centre of SW bay window. Pitched grey slate roof with lead ridging, flashing and valleys. Painted cast-iron rainwater goods. Stepped octagonal ashlar stacks with moulded neck copes and matching yellow cans.

INTERIOR: plan slightly adapted with the addition of single storey lean-to section to rear; most original timber work survives (including windows, panelled doors and skirting boards).

GATEPIERS, GATES AND BOUNDARY WALLS: pair of tall cylindrical ashlar gatepiers (now harled and painted) with red sandstone moulded base course and moulded rounded caps. Plain painted wrought-iron gates with dogbars (single gate to pedestrian entrance adjoins gatepier and entrance of main house, pair of similar gate to vehicular entrance rising into arched centre). Harled boundary walls with stone copes extending NE from lodge and terminating in a squared pier with low pyramidal cap and SW from gatepier; both meet high random rubble estate walls with rough semi-circular coping.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with Traquair House, Exedra, Bridge on East Drive, Summerhouse, Tea room, Office, Craft Workshops, Walled Garden, Gardener's Cottage, Bear Gates and Avenuehead Cottages. This lodge was erected as part of estate improvements in the later 19th century. Traquair House was under the tenure of the Hon. Henry Constable Maxwell Stuart (16th Laird) during this time and although he spent most of his time at Scarthingwell Hall, Yorkshire, Traquair was extensively used during the shooting season. He had inherited the estate from his cousin Lady Louisa in 1876 and assumed the name of Stuart. Until this period, the main form of formal access had been down the drive adjacent to the Bear Gates Avenue; an informal route led down towards Gardener's Acre. The east of the estate was given over to trees and a bleaching green and wash house; this had no formal means of access other than from the house and court of outbuildings adjacent to the walled garden. It was necessary for visitors to the estate to journey through Traquair Village if coming from Innerleithen or the East. A ford was provided over the Quair Water to the north east of the house but this was not a favoured entry to the grounds. A drive was planned to the east of the house. It followed the original route to the bleaching green (which was then discontinued) and then arched gently towards the Quair Water. When it reached here it was necessary to build a formal bridge rather than a ford, which could not be relied on if the water was to rise too high. The bridge and lodge are of similar style, both employing battlemented circular forms (the piers on the bridge and the tower on the lodge) carried on corbels. The lodge is rather decorative compared to the other buildings of the Traquair Estate which are older and plainer. It follows the picturesque style employed for a lot of lodges in Peeblesshire dating from this time (see Cardrona, The Glen, Kailzie and Holylee Estates, all listed separately). The gatepiers are also tailored to suit the look of the lodge. Gatepiers on the Traquair Estate are normally tall and cylindrical, but usually they are not harled and terminate in rough semi-circular caps of the same material as the pier. The caps on these piers are of red sandstone like the dressings on the lodge. It is believed the gates are of a later date. Together with the bridge, the lodge is important, as they are good examples of the late 19th century development of the estate.

References

Bibliography

W Edgar, THE SHIRE OF PEEBLES OR TWEEDDALE (1741); M Armstrong, COUNTY OF PEEBLES (1775) and J Thomson, PEEBLES-SHIRE (1821, published in ATLAS OF SCOTLAND, 1832). 1st Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (circa 1857) showing landscape before East Drive. William Chambers, HISTORY OF PEEBLESSHIRE (1865) p387. 2nd Edition ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP (1897) showing new East Drive, Bridge and Lodge. J Buchan, HISTORY OF PEEBLESSHIRE (1925) p534. Charles Strang, BORDERS AND BERWICK (1994) pp226?7. Donald Ormand, THE BORDERS BOOK (1995) p137. Fiona M Jamieson, TRAQUAIR LANDSCAPE MANAGEMENT PLAN (1999) various pages. Peter and Flora Maxwell Stuart, TRAQUAIR (guidebook, reprinted 2000). For further information see www.traquair.co.uk and Traquair Archive (Traquair House).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to TRAQUAIR HOUSE, EAST LODGE INCLUDING GATEPIERS, GATES AND BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/07/2024 11:31