Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

KINNESSBURN ROAD AND LANGLANDS ROAD, BOY'S BRIGADE HALL INCLUDING GATES AND BOUNDARY RAILINGSLB49363

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
11/08/2003
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
St Andrews
NGR
NO 51083 16235
Coordinates
351083, 716235

Description

James Gillespie & Scott, 1899. 2-storey, now 6-bay rectangular plan Boys' Brigade Hall with sympathetic addition to caretaker's rooms by J C Cunningham, 1947-48. Polychrome brick. Stylised gun loop effect band course, cill band and lintel band, sandstone keystones and voussoir banding, pilasters dividing bays. Applied timber framing to gableheads.

NORTH (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: principal bays grouped 2/2 under linked gables to centre and left. Bowed porch projecting to left of centre with round-arched doorway with decorated voussoir with anchor motif and motto (see notes).

St Andrews Boys Brigade Hall lettering below blocking course. Glazed multi-pane 2-leaf vestibule doors. Large round-arched window to 1st floor above. Outer bay to left 4 small windows to lavatory at ground; right with secondary door flanked by windows and three windows. 1st floor with windows detailed as entrance bay. Outer bays to right, single-storey penultimate bay with bi-partite window and outer bay (Cunningham addition) with further door. Flat-roofed bi-partite dormers above. Secondary doors with 2-pane fanlights.

EAST ELEVATION: 4 bay, bays divided by pilasters, entrance door to centre.

SOUTH ELEVATION: 5 bay with mansard extending down over 1st floor to centre bay, entrances to outer bays, small windows to ground. Further large round-arched windows to outer bays at 1st floor.

WEST ELEVATION: bays divided by butresses with semi-circular clay caps, regular windows at ground, large arched windows above as principal elevation.

Decorative timber multi-pane glazing pattern to round-arched windows with casement windows to centre flanked by small panes over square panes. Regular timber windows, plate glass lower with top-hoppers. Graded grey slate gambrel roof with multi-pane glazing to gableheads. Red tile hanging to mansard at rear with roof lights. Flashing with capped ventilator. Flagpole on right of entrance porch.

INTERIOR: predominantly original decorative scheme in place. Open Queen post roof with metal beams to large drill hall. Later elevated platform to west. Glazed-in gallery to south. Timber floor.

WAR MEMORIAL 1939-45, wainscotted and pedimented tripartite recess with multi-paned sidelights and dedicatory panel to centre. Further rooms to south and on 1st floor. Predominantly 4-panelled timber doors with original handles.

GATES AND BOUNDARY RAILINGS: plain wrought iron railings enclose site. Slender metal polygonal gate posts to east and south-east with decortative finials, both vehicular.

Statement of Special Interest

A good example of the work of local architects Gillespie & Scott. A rare example of the use of brick by the practicem the striking polychrome design with its wide-gabled principal elevation with distinctive semicircular first floor windows is notable. The bespoke glazing pattern to these windows is of particular interest.

Boys Brigade Companies usually used church halls or other available rooms to meet. The St Andrews Company was not allied to any particular church and was known as a 'Town Company'. Purpose-built Boys Brigade Halls, such as this one, are rare and the St Andrews building is a fine example of its type.

The Boys' Brigade was founded in Glasgow by William Alexander Smith (1854-1914) on 4th October 1883. The first voluntary uniformed youth organisation, its object was 'the advancement of Christ's Kingdom among Boys and the promotion of habits of Reverence, Discipline, Self-respect and all that tends towards a true Christian manliness' [J Springhall Sure and Stedfast A History of the Boys' Brigade 1883-1983 (1983) p39]. Companies were connected to a church or other religious body and were thought to be a way of retaining a Sunday School child within the church. In the period 1883-1888 206 companies were founded & the movement rapidly spread worldwide. The Brigade's badge is an anchor and their motto is 'Sure and Stedfast' although the St Andrews Company's is notably mis-spelt on the porch to the less biblical 'Steadfast'. The movement is now in decline. The St Andrews Company was founded in 1884. J Springhall writes, 'The magnificent premises of the 1st St Andrews Company provided a workshop, reading room, and recreation room open each week from 6.30pm to 9pm.'(p58). Decorative fleche to centre of roof missing.

References

Bibliography

University of St Andrews, GILLESPIE AND SCOTT ARCHIVE - BUNDLE NO 1, Nos 1-13, 15-25, 30, 41, 42. Donald M McFarlan, THE STORY OF THE BOYS' BRIGADE 1883-1983 (1982). John Springhall, SURE AND STEDFAST A HISTORY OF THE BOYS' BRIGADE 1883-1983 (1983). John Gifford, THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND - FIFE (1988) p384. James R Bone, 1ST ST ANDREWS COMPANY THE BOYS' BRIGADE (1994).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to KINNESSBURN ROAD AND LANGLANDS ROAD, BOY'S BRIGADE HALL INCLUDING GATES AND BOUNDARY RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/10/2021 09:05