There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Date Added: 03/04/2003
- Local Authority: Highland
- Planning Authority: Highland
- Parish: Clyne
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NC 90358 5366
- Coordinates: 290358, 905366
Probably William Fowler, 1863. 2-storey, L-plan school with late 19th century wing to SW creating overall U-plan. Coursed rubble; rugged rubble detail to quoins, dominant wall stacks to S and window and door surrounds; dormer windows with timber boarding in apex.
E ELEVATION: Central gable ended porch; 2 leaf timber door; bipartite window in left return. Plain wall to left; bipartite dormer window centred above. Gable elevation to right; tripartite window to right; centred bipartite window in gable at 2nd floor. Gable eaves lower to right.
S ELEVATION: U-plan. Advanced E wing; plain gable wall. Disturbed stonework to left return indicates possible blocked door and window/lean-to. Central section of U-plan: 2 tripartite windows; 2 dormer bipartite windows. Advanced chimneybreast to right of each window; uneven sloping shoulders to far right stack. Advanced (late 19th century) W wing: bipartite window to ground floor left. Central door with flanking windows to right return (bipartite window to right); 2 bipartite dormer windows centred above ground floor windows.
W ELEVATION: late 19th century section to right. 2 windows to left; door to centre (site of former porch). 3 cast-iron rooflights; 2 dormer windows to later addition.
N ELEVATION: door to left; large tripartite window to right of door (covered in vegetation, 2003). Door with window to right of tripartite window. 3 dormer windows above. Outshot to right with catslide roof; door in left return. Gabled elevation to far right: door with window to left flank; 1st floor window to left.
Timber panelled entrance doors to E porch; timber boarded doors elsewhere. Predominantly 8-pane timber sash and case windows. All dormer windows sited wholly in roof. Pitched dormers; timber boarding in apex; plain timber bargeboards with exposed rafters; tile ridge cresting. Coped ashlar skews with block skewputts. Pitched, slate roofs. Gable apex stack to SE gable; tall and wide gable apex stack to SW gable. Tall and wide ridge stack to W wing (possibly former gable apex stack of earlier build). 2 wall stacks to S. All stacks coped; some circular clay cans remain.
INTERIOR: plain interior (partially seen, 2003); timber staircases to E, W and centre N with turned wooden balusters. Timber wainscot in classrooms; fireplaces removed.
BOUNDARY WALLS: rubble wall to S and E (damaged to N); curved stone coping.
Statement of Special Interest
An example of a Sutherland estate school demonstrating features common to many other estate properties designed by George Devey. London-based Devey was responsible for many buildings on the Duke of Sutherland's estates in England and Scotland and influenced William Fowler who was appointed as the Sutherland estate surveyor in 1857. Features which Fowler often used throughout the Sutherland estate are also present here, notably the steep sloping roof with neat dormers, prominent stacks, rugged rubble masonry and skewputts. The later addition has been neatly incorporated into the building suggesting one hand in the design. In July 1863, Fowler reported that 'Clyne School [was] complete and occupied'. The area experienced a rejuvenation with the opening of the railway in 1871 and the resumption of the mining and brick industry the following year. The principal minute book from a school meeting held (most likely at this school) on 3rd June 1873 mentions the parish school and the Free Church school and records the need for two further schools. This call for two additional schools is echoed in 1840 by the minister of Clyne in the New Statistical Account. The school accommodated the schoolmaster (who in 1881 was Mr Morris Myron) and his family. It remained in use as a school until 1903 when the new Clyne School was built. The building is currently unoccupied (2003). It is sited prominently beside a crossroads, north of Brora.
G Mackay, THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND, Vol IX (1840) p161. 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1879). Census (1881). 2nd edition Ordnance Survey map (1909). E Beaton, SUTHERLAND (1995) pp6-7. Additional information courtesy of Mr M Bangor-Jones, Mr R Mackay and Highland Council Archive (Sutherland Education Parish of Clyne, Principal Minute Book 5/3/2/1).
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.