Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NORTH QUEENSFERRY, THE BRAE, PUMP AND PLAQUELB49180

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000020 - (see NOTES)
Date Added
27/03/2003
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Inverkeithing
NGR
NT 13148 80543
Coordinates
313148, 680543

Description

Glenfield and Kennedy, circa 1883. Fluted cylindrical late-19th century cast-iron pump; decorative bucket-rest; lion-head spout; ball tap to right; bud finial. Circa 1822, cast-iron plaque set in stone casing directly to rear of pump, depicting legend of Europa and Bull and struggle between foreign sailor and local woman above.

Statement of Special Interest

B-group with Waterloo Well to which this pump and plaque are closely related (see separate listing). The pump is typical of those introduced to the village for supplying Glensherup water from the Ochils, pumped-in from circa 1883. The plaque and stone casing covering an earlier well were probably erected after July 1822 when, according to records of the local Sailor's Society, there was the need to "raise the walls and put a lock on the well." The plaque most likely masks a viewing orifice and appears to have been subject to a locking device (Cubin). According to Stephen, the figures of the foreign sailor and the local woman refer to the days, when in times of drought, the women of the village tried to drive off the crews of vessels in the Firth of Forth who sought to replenish their water stores from an already scanty local supply.

References

Bibliography

1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1856). Rev W Stephen, THE STORY OF INVERKEITHING AND ROSYTH (1938) p122-123. J Gifford, FIFE: THE BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND (1988) p340. R Cubin, North Queensferry Heritage Trust leaflet, "A Matter of Heritage". E P Dennison, R Coleman HISTORIC NORTH QUEENSFERRY AND PENINSULA (2000) pp33, 50, 70-1.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH QUEENSFERRY, THE BRAE, PUMP AND PLAQUE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/09/2019 03:59