Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 13205 80740
313205, 680740


Late 18th century, with 19th century additions. 2-storey rectangular-plan farmhouse; 1 1/2 -storey section adjoining to W; single storey flat-roofed wing with rooftop balcony to E; 3-bay stables adjoining to NE converted to garages. Painted rubble; painted stone cills; droved painted ashlar rybats and quoins.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: wide lean-to rubble porch off-centre right, small window to right, door to right return. Window to left of porch; small window to right. Central 1st floor window. 1 1/2-storey section to W: door with pitched timber porch to far left; 4 unevenly spaced ground floor windows to right of door (blocked door between 2 windows to left). 3 evenly spaced 1st floor windows close to eaves. Single storey, 2-bay section to E: door to left; window to right. Modern rooftop balcony with cast-iron railings above. Piended 3-bay garage range adjoining to NE.

W ELEVATION: plain garage wall forming boundary to Ferryhills Road.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central modern conservatory; flanking windows. 3 1st floor windows centred above ground floor openings. 1 1/2-storey section to W: window off-centre right; 3 raised roof lights. Single storey, 2-bay section to E: central door; external cast-iron spiral staircase to right leading to 1st floor balcony.

E ELEVATION: plain wallhead.

Predominantly 4-pane modern non-traditional timber windows; 8-pane timber windows to ground floor of 1 1/2-storey section to W. Pitched roofs; grey slates; ashlar coped raised skews; painted coped ashlar gablehead stacks (W stack truncated).

INTERIOR: original flagstone floor to kitchen.

Statement of Special Interest

There were only three farms known to the North Queensferry and Ferryhills area, Carlingnose Farm being one (Ferry Barns and Cruickness were the others). This farmhouse and related buildings are the only remaining buildings of this type in the area. Geologist, Hugh Miller, one time editor of the Witness, came to stay at Carlingnose Farm in the late 19th century when conducting fieldwork (Cunningham).



1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1856). A S Cunningham INVERKEITHING, NORTH QUEENSFERRY, LIMEKILNS, CHARLESTOWN, THE FERRYHILLS (1899) p117. E P Dennison, R Coleman HISTORIC NORTH QUEENSFERRY AND PENINSULA (2000) pp28, 75.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH QUEENSFERRY, 4 FERRYHILLS ROAD, CARLINGNOSE FARMHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 25/01/2020 13:19