Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

NORTH QUEENSFERRY, FERRY ROAD, SEABANK COTTAGE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB49171

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
27/03/2003
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Inverkeithing
NGR
NT 12886 80550
Coordinates
312886, 680550

Description

1795. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan house; later 20th century flat-roofed extension to N. Random rubble, stone cills. Sited on ground falling to S.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical. Central pitched and canted single storey stone porch, central timber boarded door, flanked by windows on canted corner and right and left returns; ground floor windows to outer bays; 3 1st floor windows close to eaves.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 1st floor window to left; ground floor window to right; door at far right, opening into N extension; small square attic window to right.

N ELEVATION: former boundary wall raised and adapted as part of single storey extension. Large, square modern plate glass window set behind steel bars to left; small square modern plate glass window to left.

W ELEVATION: not seen, 2002.

Predominantly 12- and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Pitched roof, reconstituted concrete tiles; ashlar coped skews; beaked skewputts; coped and cement-rendered gablehead stacks; octagonal clay cans.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2002

BOUNDARY WALLS: high coped random rubble wall; timber boarded door off street to N; rubble sea defence boundary wall to S.

Statement of Special Interest

Seabank Cottage is said to be the earliest existing dwelling in the W part of North Queensferry village and is situated on strategic site along the Fife Coast. Purchased by the Forth Ferry Trustees for #260-9-1 pounds Sterling in 1810 as the private residence for the newly appointed superintendent of the Queensferry Passage, Captain James Scott (1767-1850), who retired in 1839. The house was chosen because it afforded a complete view of the passage. Scott was instrumental in introducing the steamer service from South Queensferry to North Queensferry and helped design the Queen Margaret, launched in 1821.

References

Bibliography

T Sharp, C Greenwood, W Fowler, MAP OF FIFE AND KINROSS (1828). 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1856). H Douglas, CROSSING THE FORTH (1964) p35-36. P Dean, C Dean, PASSAGE OF TIME: THE STORY OF THE QUEENSFERRY PASSAGE AND THE VILLAGE OF NORTH QUEENSFERRY (1981) pp36-7, 45. E P Dennison, R Coleman, HISTORIC NORTH QUEENSFERRY AND PENINSULA (2002) pp71.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH QUEENSFERRY, FERRY ROAD, SEABANK COTTAGE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/09/2019 03:52