There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: A
- Date Added: 19/04/1966
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 26169 74717
- Coordinates: 326169, 674717
Robert Brown, 1825. Classical triple tenement block with symmetrical 9-bay, 3-storey basement and attic elevation to Annandale Street. Smooth V-jointed rustication to ground floor; polished ashlar to upper floors (droved ashlar to basement; coursed squared rubble to rear). Dividing band between basement and ground floor; dividing band between ground and 1st floors; cill band to 1st and 2nd floors; band course and main cornice dividing 2nd and attic floor; cill band to attic floor; eaves cornice; blocking course. Regular fenestration; architraved windows to 1st and 2nd floor.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: to centre bay, timber-panelled door with multi-pane glazed letterbox fanlight, framed by doorpiece of fluted Greek Doric columns and entablature; to 3rd and 7th bays, timber panelled door in round-arched opening, with sunk-panelled stone doorpiece and segmental fanlight with radiating glazing pattern; steps and platt overarching basement recess to each doorway.
GLAZING etc: predominantly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; 15-pane glazing to 1st floor windows. Pitched roof; graded grey slates; stone skews and skewputts. 1 corniced, droved ashlar ridge stack to centre; 1 corniced, droved ashlar gablehead stack to right; 1 corniced, rendered wallhead stack to rear.
RAILINGS: to edge of basement recess and platts, stone copes (edging basement only) surmounted by distinctive ornate cast iron railings.
Statement of Special Interest
11-15 Annandale Street is important as a good example of earlier 19th century high quality tenement design. It also has streetscape and historical value one of the few extant elements of the Hope estate development.
Annandale Street is built on land which once formed part of Edinburgh's Botanic Gardens. These had been transferred to the west side of Leith Walk by Professor John Hope, Professor of Botany, 1763. In 1820, the botanic gardens were moved again to their present site at Inverleith. Professor Hope died in 1786; Ainslie's map of 1804 shows the area to the west and south of the botanic garden to be the property of 'Mrs Dr Hope'. By 1817, the land is marked on Kirkwood's map as 'the property of Dr Hopes representatives', suggesting that his wife had since died and the land been inherited by his children, of which he had three sons and one daughter. In 1824-5, Sasines show that the lands were being feued for building to an agreed scheme by a Major John Hope (probably Professor Hope's second son). It seems likely that he was influenced by the success of the neighbouring Gayfield estate and the early popularity of the more recent Calton scheme, commissioned Robert Brown to design a scheme for his lands (Brown had already designed terraces for Hope at Clerk Street and Rankeillor Street, on land also inherited from Professor Hope). However, like the Calton scheme, the Hope scheme suffered badly from the rise in popularity of the West End, and very little of Brown's scheme was actually built. Only the south section of Haddington Place was completed, Annandale Street itself was left uncompleted to the NW end, and the only other street of the scheme to begin building, Hope (now Hopetoun) Crescent, has only two pairs of houses built to Browns designs. The projected square to the north of Hope Crescent was not started or even named.
The naming of Annandale Street is a reference to the Hopetoun branch of the Hope family, to whom the Annandale estates and earldom of Annandale had passed in 1792.
Ainslie's Map, 1804. Kirkwood's Map, 1817. Brown's Map, 1820. O.S. Map, 1853. Arnot, THE HISTORY OF EDINBURGH, (1779), pp417-419. M Turnbull, EDINBURGH PORTRAITS, (1987), p77. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker, EDINBURGH, (1991) p 427. H.Colvin, DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS, (1995), p117.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.
There are no images available for this record.