Mid 19th century. Single storey, 3-bay, L-plan lodge with detached single storey rectangular coach house to rear. Coursed rubble with polished ashlar door surround and rybats, long and short quoins.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central doorway with pilasters and architraved brackets supporting rectangular projecting canopy, timber panelled door with 2-pane glazed fanlight surmounting; single window flanking door, gatepiers adjoining main house to left and right returns (see BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS).
SW ELEVATION: wall of main house with central rectangular window, lean-to on rear containing entrance door.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen, 2000.
NE ELEVATION: 3 regularly placed windows facing side driveway.
Mostly 9-pane timber sash and case windows (split 6 over 3). Piended grey slate roof with zinc ridging. Buff coloured cast-iron rainwater goods. Central ashlar stack with projecting neck cope and single plain can
INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.
COACH HOUSE: Single storey rectangular rubble coach house. SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: full height, timber sliding door to left with boarded door to right. Piended grey slate roof with zinc ridging.
BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: Low coursed rubble wall to garden ground (previously rendered), semi-circular coping; pair of low square gatepiers with pyramidal caps and timber gate adjoining cottage's SE elevation, larger pier to SW. Larger piers to NE of property (forming separate pedestrian and vehicular accesses to rear coach house) comprising: squared gatepiers with projecting neck cope and pyramidal cushioned caps surmounting, timber boarded gate with arched top.
Statement of Special Interest
Sited on a crossroads, this cottage is built on the site of a former lodge to Prestonhall Estate. In a 1794 proposed plan of improvements to the estate, the site is shown to have lodge buildings at the end of a drive leading to the main hall. These proposed lodges appear to be of similar design to the Lion's gate entrance of the Hall. The 1806 survey shows that the twin lodges were never built, but instead a small rectangular lodge is shown on the site. This is likely to have been the forerunner of the building that can now be found here. This cottage, although lodge-like, has no direct access to the hall, and was probably constructed for a member of the estate staff, possibly a gamekeeper or foreman.