Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

5-8 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS) PIERSHILL PLACELB49045

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
19/12/2002
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 28433 74140
Coordinates
328433, 674140

Description

Circa 1850; N elevation of public house (Porters Bar) circa 1890. Terrace of three 2-storey, 3-bay houses with public house to ground floor. Painted coursed rubble with droved quoins to numbers 6-8, painted pebbledash to number 5. Basecourse. Regularly fenestrated to 1st floor. Bar front: frieze and cornice. Roll-moulded, shoulder-arched openings and stop-chamfered doorways. 2-leaf timber panelled door to bar entrance; scroll brackets supporting slightly advanced section of frieze above. 2 timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlights to flats above; bracketed window balcony with decorative wrought-iron balustrade above door to left. Decorative wrought-iron window balconies to 3 windows at 1st floor to outer right.

Plate glass in timber sash and case windows at 1st floor; large plate glass windows to ground (windows to number 5 boarded over). Grey slate. Stone skews. Rendered coped stacks with tall cylindrical cans.

INTERIOR (PORTERS BAR): lobby with reeded timber doors and panelling; leaded stained glass to upper panels with lettering to doors: JUG BAR to left, PUB BAR to right. Copper door furniture. Mosaic floor bearing the legend PIERSHILL TAVERN. Decorative plaster cornice to ceiling with dentil and egg & dart mouldings. Timber panelled public bar: arcaded Spanish mahogany gantry, mahogany bar, further doors with border-glazed stained glass panels, compartmented ceilings with dentil and egg and dart mouldings;

Statement of Special Interest

Good, plain, mid-19th century terrace (opposite the former Piershill Barracks). Public house with particularly fine, well-preserved interior. Earlier maps show a selection of various buildings on this site. It is probable that there has been a public house here ever since the barracks were built in about 1790.

References

Bibliography

Appears on Johnston's 1851 Plan of Edinburgh & Leith. Gifford, McWilliam & Walker, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: EDINBURGH (1988), p566.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 5-8 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS) PIERSHILL PLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/12/2019 05:41