Medieval core; restored 1595; extended 1767 and 1825. Single storey galleried T-plan church. Harled nave (restored 1595) to W, with polished sandstone dressings; coursed sandstone Auchincruive aisle, 1767, to N, vermiculated base course, cill course, eaves course and strip quoins; tooled pink sandstone 1825 aisles to re-entrant angles to E and W, base course, raised margins, ovalo moulded eaves course, strip quoins. Boarded and panelled timber doors.
E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 4-bay; harled gabled bay advanced to left, harled stair with stone steps and iron railings from left leading to panelled door to centre, 9-pane fanlight, door off-centre to right of ground floor, stone trefoil to apex; single window to right return. Gabled 1825 2-storey, single bay aisle to re-entrant angle to right, window to each floor, blind window to 1st floor of right return. Harled piend-roofed entrance porch to re-entrant angle to right, door to left, 2 2-pane fanlights, door to right return. 2-bay 1767 Auchincruive aisle recessed to right, bay to left obscured by harled porch (see above), broad door reached by stone steps to right.
S ELEVATION: Auchincruive aisle: single bay; gabled; round-arched pilastered window to centre set in broad recessed round-arched panel with impost detail; decorative stone urn finial to apex. Burial vault below.
W ELEVATION: asymmetrical; 3-bay; harled gabled bay advanced to right, harled stair with stone steps and iron railings from left leading to panelled door to centre, 9-pane fanlight, open bellcote with bell to apex; window to left return. Gabled single bay, 2-storey 1825 aisle to re-entrant angle to left windows centred to ground and 1st floors; single storey addition adjoining to left, door off-centre to right, windows to left return; 1767 Auchincruive aisle behind.
S ELEVATION: harled nave: near-symmetrical; 5-bay; centre bay blank, flanked to left by tooled sandstone tablet (badly weathered) bearing Cathcart coat of arms and motto, below granite tablet marking 400th anniversary of 1595 restoration; regular fenestration to 2 flanking bays to left and right; 2 2-pane skylights to attic.
Predominantly 12-pane and 16-pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate roof with lead ridges. Coped stone skews. Sandstone wallhead and gablehead stacks with circular and octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: predominantly 1767; T-plan, panelled gallery in each arm of T. Pitched pine pews radiating from panelled canted pulpit to centre of S wall, with fine pilastered classical sounding board. Timber doors to centre of E and W galleries. Doors to ground floor below depressed-arched S gallery, flanked to right by door leading to porch and to left by stair to burial vault. Timber panelling below dado; simple moulded ceiling.
Statement of Special Interest
A-Group with St Quivox Parish Church Mausoleum and Graveyard (see separate listings). Ecclesiastical building in use as such. Originally called Sanchar-in-Kyle, St Quivox Parish church was originally in the parish of Kyle, which amalgamated with Ayr and Newton-upon-Ayr in 1895. The church has also been called St Kenockis, St Cavocks and St Evox. The earliest mention of the church is 1208, when the Church of Sanquhar supposedly existed as a rectory. From 1238 it was owned by Paisely Abbey until the Reformation, after which time it is thought to have fallen into disrepair. The church was restored in 1595 by Alan, the 4th Lord Cathcart, who was the owner of Sundrum and Auchincruive Estates, hence the panel on the wall of the church with the Cathcart coat of arm and motto. The Auchincruive gallery was added by Richard Oswald of Auchincruive in 1767, when the church was repaired again. The final alterations were in the earlier 19th century.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at email@example.com.