Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

27 BOCLAIR ROAD INCLUDING ANCILLARY BUILDING, TERRACE WALLS AND GATEPIERSLB48593

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
25/04/2002
Local Authority
East Dunbartonshire
Planning Authority
East Dunbartonshire
Burgh
Bearsden
NGR
NS 55482 72161
Coordinates
255482, 672161

Description

Dated 1926; sympathetically altered 2001. Single storey and attic with raised basement to N, 4-bay gabled villa with Arts and Crafts references, steeply-pitched swept roofs and exceptional interior with outstanding retention of figurative coloured glass. Harled with cement dressings. Jettied gables with arrowslits; mock half-timbering; stone mullions.

S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 3 dominant gabled bays to right, that to centre broader and slightly set-back with steps up to full-width tiled canopy on polygonal outer columns, set-back 2-leaf timber door to left and large irregular tripartite window to right; small horizontally-aligned tripartite above in gablehead.

Flanking gables each with flat-roofed canted window and further set-back bay with bipartite window to outer left.

N (GARDEN) ELEVATION: reducing semicircular steps (with flanking small bipartites and sundial on moulded panel dated '1927' to outer right) to right of largely blank raised basement lead to broad terrace, swept-roof over broad French window at centre and horizontal eyelid dormer above. Irregular flanking gables, that to left tall and half-timbered with canted window at ground and recessed French window above, that to right low with bipartite window. Further gable to left with bipartite below square window in gablehead and lower bays to service wing at outer left.

W ELEVATION: gabled elevation with canted 6-light window under polygonal roof flanked by diminutive later (2001) square windows.

E ELEVATION: bay to centre with timber door, tooled panel with date '1926' over tiny shield carved 'JSD' in gabletted wallhead stack breaking eaves at left; pitch-roofed wing projecting at right with timber door to right and small bipartite to left, ancillary (see below) abutting at outer right.

Largely leaded multi-pane glazing in casement windows; coloured glass see Interior. Rosemary tiles with terracotta finials. Ashlar-coped harled stacks with full-complement of cans. Swept overhanging eaves; moulded skews and skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: exceptionally fine decorative scheme in place including decorative plasterwork cornicing, architraved doors some with coloured glass panels, and timber fire surrounds some with overmantels and original-tiled slips. Panelled stairhall with winding timber staircase;

ingleneuk fireplace with panelled overmantel and coloured glass panels; attic study with decoratively-astragalled glazing to display cupboards. 2 bathrooms, each with original fittings and fine ceramic tiles, 1 with panels depicting exotic birds (see Notes) and 1 with borders incorporating picture tiles including Dutch figures and boats.

COLOURED GLASS: much fine coloured glass throughout, including stairhall with coloured margins and heraldic devices; sun room with variety of butterflies and Mackintosh style flowers; attic bedroom (over main door) with diminutive Dutch girl figures and tiny panels with harbour lights; roundels with birds and ships; interior panels with castle and windmill.

ANCILLARY BUILDING: rectangular-plan harled ancillary with battered buttress-style angles supporting Voyseyesque overhanging swept eaves. Part-glazed boarded 2-leaf timber door

under tiled canopy and jettied gablehead with arrowslit to S; horizontally-aligned leaded multi-pane tripartite window to E; decorative cast-iron weathervane to roofridge. Interior walls lined with glazed, decoratively-margined ceramic tiles.

TERRACE WALLS AND GATEPIERS: flat-coped rubble terrace walls. Square-section red brick gatepiers with cement bases and capped by obelisk finials on ball feet.

Statement of Special Interest

Originally known as 'Glenshira', and built for James Slos Duncan, to a design by his wife. Duncan was a tile importer, presumably the source for the many fine well preserved tiles. The house was owned for 40 years (1959-99) by McPhail, a shipowner whose character was inspiration for 'Puffer' in the 'Para Handy Tales'. When the current owner took over the property needed extensive renovation including replacing ceilings in the three principal rooms and the lounge fireplace which was reinstated with stone from York Minster. The exotic bird tiles mentioned above were hand copied by Leslie Johnston from drawings in the Hunterian Gallery.

References

Bibliography

Information courtesy of owner.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 27 BOCLAIR ROAD INCLUDING ANCILLARY BUILDING, TERRACE WALLS AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/05/2019 13:36