Skip to content
Print
Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

BARNWEILL, WALLACE'S MONUMENTLB4856

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Information

  • Category: A
  • Date Added: 22/10/2007

Location

  • Local Authority: South Ayrshire
  • Planning Authority: South Ayrshire
  • Parish: Craigie

National Grid Reference

  • NGR: NS 40655 29488
  • Coordinates: 240655, 629488

Description

Robert Snodgrass Sr, 1855-7. 3-stage, square plan Gothic tower with pinnacled parapet. Polished sandstone ashlar. Base course; string courses; corbelled, shouldered band course between 2nd and 3rd stages; machicolated, crenellated parapet with thistle-finialled, conical-capped circular angle pinnacles and ball-finialled, ogee-capped square-plan wallhead pinnacles. Diagonally-boarded timber door in Tudor-arched, roll-moulded doorway with hoodmould to SE elevation; similar inscription recesses at other elevations. Round-arched recesses at 2nd stage; paired round-arched recesses at 3rd stage.

Statement of Special Interest

A very striking, picturesque and prominent Gothic hilltop monument built to commemorate William Wallace at the time of an upsurge in the Scottish desire for self-determination, and predating the celebrated monument near Stirling by several years. It is also known as Barnweill Monument, Barnweill Monument or Barnwell Monument. The theory that the name derives from an occasion when Wallace, standing on this elevated site, remarked that the Barns of Ayr (containing English soldiers) 'burn weil' is a myth, the real reason being that it is situated close to the remains of the medieval parish church of Barnweill, a parish that was suppressed in the 17th century.

An advertisement was placed in the Ayr Advertiser of 12 October 1854 calling for designs for the monument to be submitted to W F Love of Beith by 1 January 1855. The Ayr Advertiser of 30 October 1856 states that the monument was designed by William Dobie of Beith, and built by 'Mr Snodgrass'. The Dobies were a well-to-do professional family with antiquarian interests, and they probably provided the funds for the monument as no evidence has been found of any drives for public subscription. William Dobie certainly appears to have been capable of design himself, the family monument in Beith Cemetery bearing the inscription 'Designed and Erected by W Dobie 1866'. 'Mr Snodgrass' was Robert Snodgrass Sr, who practised as an architect-builder in Beith. He was the son of William Snodgrass, mason of Beith, and his son and grandsons followed in the same profession.

References

Bibliography

shown on 1st Edition Ordnance Survey map (1860). Building Chronicle, June 1857, Vol 2, p215. 3rd Statistical Account (1951). Ayr Advertiser, 12 October 1854 and 1 January 1855. Rob Close, Ayrshire & Arran (1992), p54. Dictionary of Scottish Architects, www.scottisharchitects.org.uk [accessed 19 March 2007]. Historical information courtesy of Rob Close (2007).

About Designations

Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record.

Map

There is no map available for this record.

Printed: 27/08/2016 10:52