Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
St Andrews
NO 51130 16830
351130, 716830


Paul Waterhouse, 1923-9; completed by Michael Waterhouse; side porches infilled 2000. Monumental classical, temple-fronted University Graduation Hall with Art Deco detail. Swagged urns by Alexander Carrick. Polished and dressed ashlar, contrasting Portland stone and Cullalo stone. Channelled, pilastered 3-part porch with Art Deco-detailed frieze surmounted by

4 swagged urns; 4-storey temple centrepiece with giant order piers and heavy pediment with acroteria at apex and outer angles. Architect's mark to SE angle (see Notes). Deep moulded base course, cill and band courses, and eaves cornice; segmental-headed opening; keystones; some architraved surrounds; stone transoms and mullions.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 11-bay elevation. Broad, slightly advanced, 3-part, single storey porch to centre with steps up to 2-leaf panelled timber doors, decoratively-astragalled fanlights and small flanking outer lights, deep frieze above with incised commemorative panels 'JC IRVINE PRINCIPAL', 'HAIG FM CHANCELLOR 4 NOV 1926' and 'F NANSEN RECTOR'; 3 windows each to recessed 1st and 2nd floors, those to 2nd floor with flanking and dividing piers extending to temple front above and forming colonnade with decorative ironwork railings and composite capitalled pilasters to further recessed face. Low stair towers flanking centre, each with full-height transomed window, panelled apron and bellflower-detailed hoodmould, and further stair windows to inner returns bowed to meet recessed face of 1st floor, set-back 3-storey bays, adjoining (but lower than) temple front with window to each floor. Pantiled, pyramidally-roofed, 3-bay, 2-storey outer pavilions each with regular fenestration, centre bay to ground with decoratively consoled cornice and pediment, that to 1st floor with architrave and Greek key detail to blocking course above.

W ELEVATION: blocky, tiered elevation. Centre bay with infilled porch of 3 keystoned segmental arches with decorative fanlights (outer arches blocked) and dividing pilasters giving way to stone balustrade. Broad 2-leaf panelled timber door and further doors on returns, and segmental-headed window on outer left return; 3 windows to recessed face above. 2-storey bay with pedimented door below window to right and 2 recessed bays beyond to right; dominant 2-storey, 3-bay block to outer right with regular fenestration.

2 windows in bays to left of centre with 2 tall windows above, and further window to each floor of bay beyond (all decoratively astragalled), slightly advanced bay beyond to left with pedimented door below window, and tall light high up to outer left. Taller recessed face of 'temple' to centre with 5 lunettes, and 2 lights to advanced stair tower to outer right. Square-section, domed, timber belfry with louvered roundels to centre of roof ridge.

E ELEVATION: mirrors W elevation.

N ELEVATION: 3-storey and raised basement with 3 windows to each floor of advanced centre bay, that to centre at 1st floor with consoled cornice and pediment. Set-back flanking bays with window to each floor and further recessed, lower outer bays with window to basement and tall light above.

Margined and decoratively-astragalled glazing patterns to metal-framed windows. Grey slates and pantiles. Coped ashlar stacks and ashlar-coped skews; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: porch with glazed decoratively-astragalled domes; grey and green marble lined vestibule with pilasters and flanking staircases with decorative ironwork railings and timber banisters, upper floors with glazed ceramic dadoes. Rooms flanking vestibule with carved timber fire surrounds and classical plasterwork overmantels; Harpsichord room and practice room opposite with vaulted bowed ends and niches flanking segmental-headed windows. 1st floor landing with wide vaulted recess and fitted timber bench, smaller flanking recesses. Galleried graduation hall with square piers to ground supporting 1st floor panelled gallery with Ionic columns and dentilled cornice below lunettes to E and W, further upper gallery to S: timber

panelled surround to stage with pipe organ to N wall; basket-arched proscenium.

Statement of Special Interest

Alfred Waterhouse was married to a daughter of the Younger family who gifted the hall to St Andrews University. The SE return of the ground floor cill course is detailed with the initials 'PW' and a house in a boat on the

water. The building was completed by Michael Waterhouse after Paul Waterhouse's death in 1924.



Gifford FIFE (1992), p378.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to NORTH STREET, UNIVERSITY OF ST ANDREWS, YOUNGER HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/11/2022 18:52