Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

503-509 (ODD NOS) LAWNMARKET AND 13-17A (ODD NOS) JAMES COURTLB48245

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
14/12/1970
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25520 73579
Coordinates
325520, 673579

Description

Circa 1795. 5-storey and attic 6-bay tenement with shops to ground floor and flat-arched entrances to pends (Mid and West Entries to James Court) to outer right and in 3rd bay from left. Grey ashlar, painted to ground; rubble to rear. Eaves course. Regularly fenestrated, but floor levels different in 3 bays to left and right. Projecting cills. Modern shop front to left (continuous to Milne's Court); consoled, modillioned cornice and Corinthian pilasters to shop to right. 4 slated piend-roofed dormers to attic. Turnpike stair to flats in pend.

REAR (JAMES COURT) ELEVATIONS: single bay to left, over round-arched entrance to pend. Narrow canted bay (windows lighting stair) in re-entrant angle. Broad projecting bay with tripartite windows to each floor to centre (later harled flat-roofed single storey building adjoining to ground). Narrow bay over pend. 4-storey piend-roofed wing to right: regularly fenestrated; modern timber panelled door in bolection-moulded surround to 17A to N elevation.

12-pane glazing in 3 bays to right, plate glass in 3 bays to left, in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Tall corniced stacks (brick to right, stone to left) with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

In 1723-7 James Brownhill (following the precedent of Robert Mylne at Milne's Court) demolished closes running N/S to form a square court, building a tall double tenement to the N (all but the E section of which was destroyed in a fire in 1857), but leaving the old buildings facing the Lawnmarket. Those to the W of Gladstone's Land were replaced circa 1795

References

Bibliography

RCAHMS INVENTORY EDINBURGH (1951) No 13 p73. Gifford, McWilliam and Walker EDINBURGH (1984) p 194.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 503-509 (ODD NOS) LAWNMARKET AND 13-17A (ODD NOS) JAMES COURT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 18/10/2019 23:02