Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

26-32 (Even Numbers) Forrest Road and 19-21 (Inclusive Numbers) Teviot Place, EdinburghLB48243

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
15/10/2001
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Supplementary Information Updated
18/07/2018
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25733 73148
Coordinates
325733, 673148

Description

William Urquhart, 1873. 4-storey, bowed, Scots Baronial corner tenement block with finialled, gabled eaves breaking dormers and extensive public house and shops to ground; 5 bays to Forrest Road, 7 bays to Teviot Place with pavilion-roofed bay with tripartite mullioned windows central bow. Squared and snecked stugged sandstone with polished dressings. Continuous cornice at ground floor (removed at No 22 Teviot Place); corbel table to 3rd floor. Windows in stop-chamfered, tabbed surrounds; finialled, kneelered dormer heads to 3rd floor windows breaking eaves.

W (FORREST ROAD) ELEVATION: shop to outer left: segmental-arched openings; 2-leaf timber panelled storm door in lugged architrave with dentilled cornice, small-pane glazed fanlight above; piend-roofed 3-storey canted bay to left above; timber panelled door with segmental-arched fanlight to right, with single windows above. Projecting 3-bay section to right, bowed to outer right, with conical-roofed bartizan at canted corner to left; Art Deco stained glass to shop window to left; modern glazing and doors to public house; corbelled wallhead stack between 1st and 2nd bays to left. Plain, pavilion-roofed single bay to bow with tripartite windows and consoled cornice with ball-finialled pierced parapet to ground floor.

S (TEVIOT PLACE) ELEVATION: regularly fenestrated with single and bipartite windows.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows, some modern uPVC replacements. Double pitch slate roof. Corniced end and wallhead stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Prominently sited corner tenement block with sweeping bowed corner and extensive public house to ground floor making strong contribution to the streetscape. Finely detailed particularly in the parapet and dormers, this tenement is a well-planned block in an important position creating the character of broad urban area opposite the Meadows Park.

This tenement is the only known work attributed to the architect William Urquhart about whom little is known. He practised at Royal Exchange Buildings, 297 High Street from about 1871 to about 1874. Thereafter he appear to have practised from his home address which was 4 Morningside Park.

The buildings were constructed as part of the Forrest Road, Teviot Place and Bristo Place development concurrent with the building of the New Medical School and the McEwan Hall in the later 19th century. The former Royal Infirmary was built around the same time as the redevelopment of Teviot Place so some of the shops on Teviot Place traded in medical equipment, books and clothing for the hospital and medical staff. The tradition is ongoing with some premises continuing to trade medical learning products (2011).

The planned street triangle of Forrest Road, Bristo Place and Teviot Row was conceived as part of Thomas Hamilton's (1784-1858) vision for the new Southern Approach Road linking Princes Street to George Square and the Meadows (via the Mound, Bank Street and a the new George IV Bridge). The City Improvement Act brought in by Lord Provost Chambers in 1867 was to implement better housing standards and to replace the medieval slum areas in Edinburgh's Old Town. The groups of Baronial style tenement blocks on Forest Road and Teviot Place were built as a direct result of this development phase.

List description updated at re-survey 2011-12.

Statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '26-32 (even nos) Forrest Road and 19-21 (inclusive nos) Teviot Place'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 125238

Dean of Guild (9 May 1873).

2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map (1877).

J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, The Buildings of Scotland Edinburgh (1984) p733.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

Southwest elevation, 26-32 (Even Numbers) Forrest Road and 19-21 (Inclusive Numbers) Teviot Place, Edinburgh

Printed: 28/01/2022 20:04