Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

8, 9, 10 BRISTO PLACE AND 3 BRISTO PORTLB48211

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
15/10/2001
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25767 73250
Coordinates
325767, 673250

Description

Earlier 19th century with later 19th century shopfront. 4-storey tenement with narrow bowed corner, 4 bays to Bristo Place, 3 bays to Bristo Port. Droved ashlar, painted to ground. Continuous cornice at ground floor; cill band at 2nd floor, projecting cills at 1st and 3rd floors, eaves cornice and blocking course. Stop-chamfered, shoulder-arched openings to shopfront. Blind windows in centre bay to ground and outer right bay at 1st and 2nd floors at Bristo Port.

3 BRISTO PORT: 3-storey, 3-bay commercial warehouse to side. Droved ashlar, painted. Crane hoist doors at 1st and 2nd floors to outer left bay. Timber door, upper half glazed, with small pane glazed fanlight. Faded painted business name to whole elevation.

Mostly 12-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows. Fixed single pane casements and modern glazed door to shopfront corner. Timber door with fanlight to number 9. Piended double pitched roof to No. 8, 9 and 10 Bristo Place, pictched roof to 3 Bristo Port. Grey slates. Corniced wallhead stack and ridge stacks, circular clay cans.

INTERIOR (seen 2001): some cornicing, fireplaces.

Statement of Special Interest

A good prominently sited corner tenement block with good later 19th century shopfront terminating the streetscape. The building has served as a commercial premises (china merchants) since c1850. 3 Bristo Port is of a different date to 8-10 Bristo Place but internally linked at ground floor and cellar.

Bristo Place, originally named Bristo Street, was the principal route south out of the city of Edinburgh from Bristo Port. Bristo Port, a fortified gateway associated with the Flodden Wall, was built in 1515 (and was presumably demolished in 1715 in common with other ports). The base of the wall is still evident in Bristo Port as some 40ft as the outer wall of a tenement.

These tenements were possibly constructed on the site of the George Inn (shown on a 1784 plan of Edinburgh by Kincaid) a coaching inn situated just outside the Bristo Port. A narrow open space survives on the E side, possibly a survival from the George Inn

(List description updated at re-survey 2011-12.)

References

Bibliography

Edinburgh Town Plan (1852). 1st Edition Ordnance Survey Map, (1854). J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker The Buildings of Scotland Edinburgh (1984) p221.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 8, 9, 10 BRISTO PLACE AND 3 BRISTO PORT

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/11/2019 07:19