Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BALDOVAN, STRATHMARTINE HOSPITAL, FORMER BALDOVAN INSTITUTELB48113

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
10/08/2001
Local Authority
Angus
Planning Authority
Angus
Parish
Mains And Strathmartine
NGR
NO 38684 35077
Coordinates
338684, 735077

Description

John Turnbull Maclaren, 1900. Tall 2-storey and attic, 2-storey and single storey, 11-bay administration block with pavilion roof and shaped gables, and 3 2-storey, 2-bay, piend-roofed wards. Stugged squared and snecked rubble with ashlar dressings. Deep bull-faced rubble base course, 1st floor cill course and band course. Stone transoms and mullions.

ADMINISTRATION BUILDING:

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Pavilion-roofed centre bays with dwarf walls flanking stone steps leading to 3-bay porch with pilastered and keystoned round-headed doorpiece, 2-leaf panelled timber door and sunburst-astragalled fanlight flanked by transomed tripartites and single transomed windows to outer returns, all surmounted by deep corniced blocking course. 1st floor with transomed bipartite windows to each bay, centre bay above with bipartite window breaking eaves into piended dormerhead, outer bays with flat-roofed dormers (replacement windows) also breaking eaves. Flanking 2-storey bays slightly set-back, each with transomed bipartite window to centre flanked by single windows at each floor (only those to ground transomed), that to 1st floor breaking eaves into piended dormerhead. Projecting single storey outer bays, each with 5-part canted transomed window below corniced blocking course and shaped gable with arrowslit in gablehead, rounded bay with 2 narrow lights to inner re-entrant angles and 4 single windows to outer returns.

NE (REAR) ELEVATION: largely comprised of variety of later extensions.

4-, 8-, 10-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Ashlar-coped skews; overhanging eaves with exposed rafters; finials; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

WARDS:

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATIONS: wards to SE of administration building each with advanced piended bay to right of centre with swept roof to 5-part canted window at ground, tripartite above and single window to each floor of left return, recessed bay with tripartite window at ground and bipartite at 1st floor. Ward to NW mirrors the above.

SE AND NW ELEVATIONS: symmetrically-fenestrated elevations with variety of elements including full-height, polygonal-roofed canted stair tower to outer ward at SE.

NE (REAR) ELEVATIONS: stepped elevations with variety of elements including some original glazing and later extensions.

Horizontal 14-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Overhanging eaves with exposed rafters; finials; cast-iron downpipes.

Statement of Special Interest

Formerly thought to be by James Maclaren but due to late date and stylistic similarities, now attributed to John Turnbull MacLaren of MacLaren, Soutar & Salmond. The foundation stone of the current building was laid on the 13th June, 1900. Founded by Sir John and Lady Jane Ogilvie in 1852, and formerly known as the 'Baldovan Institution', the hospital also provided an orphanage and place of education for imbecile children, constituting the first serious attempt of its kind in Scotland. In 1853 the Ogilvies provided a new building for the hospital, designed by Coe and Godwin in the English domestic Tudor style, in the grounds of Baldovan House. The foundation stone was laid on the 7th July, 1853. The success of the hospital led to the above detailed complex being added to the north at the turn of the century. The hospital was transferred to the National Health Service in 1948 and continued to expand. Further extensions were built in the 1960s. The designed landscape was planned by Sir Reginald Ogilvy Bt. The (former) lodge to the hospital is listed separately in Craigmill Road, Baldovan.

References

Bibliography

H Richardson HOSPITALS STUDY (Unpublished). Glendinning, MacInnes & MacKechnie HISTORY OF SCOTTISH ARCHITECTURE (1996), p581. McKean & Walker DUNDEE (1993), p151.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALDOVAN, STRATHMARTINE HOSPITAL, FORMER BALDOVAN INSTITUTE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 05/12/2020 11:36