Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000020 - (See Notes)
Date Added
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
NT 50455 15107
350455, 615107


James Pearson Alison, circa 1899. Symmetrical, 2-storey, 3-bay block with shops to ground floor and flats above; Dutch detailing. Lightly stugged, coursed red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Fascia; moulded cornices at ground and 1st floors; blocking course. Doric pilasters at ground to outer left and right and flanking door at ground floor. Timber panelled door to centre with small-pane-glazed fanlight, flanked by shops with small-pane glazing above (arched to outer windows), plate glass below and recessed glazed doors. Central recessed canted window at 1st floor. Central shaped gable with scrolled pediment at apex and cartouche with monogram.

Non-traditional glazing at 1st floor of principal elevation; some 4-pane timber sash and case windows to rear. Stone skews. Corniced end stack to right with circular cans. Grey slate roof. Cast-iron downpipe.

INTERIOR: Single cast-iron column and some glazed ceramic wall and floor tiles in shop to left; timber panelling in shop to right.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group comprises Nos 41, 43 & 43A, 45 & 47 and 49 North Bridge Street - see separate list entries.

A well-detailed, Dutch-inspired, late-19th-century building with good original shopfronts, forming the earliest part of an asymmetrical 5-block (all listed separately) red sandstone range designed by James Pearson Alison (1862-1932), Hawick's most prominent architect. Alison commenced practice in the town in 1888 and remained there until his death, during which period he was responsible for a large number of buildings of widely varying types and styles, including a considerable proportion of Hawick's listed structures.

This building was constructed for the Teviotdale Dairy Co Ltd (later the Honeyburn & Teviotdale Dairy Co Ltd), whose monogram features prominently in the gable cartouche, and was subsequently owned by the Buttercup Dairy Company of Easter Road, Leith. The ground drops away to the rear, affording an additional basement level where milk could be delivered in bulk for bottling on the premises and brought up to the shop via a rear staircase. The shop to the left was originally the dairy itself, and that to the right was the Superintendent's Office.

A photograph taken shortly after the building was completed, and before the remainder of the adjoining red sandstone range had been constructed, shows that the windows to the flat(s) above were originally timber sash-and-case, with small-pane glazing in the upper sashes and single- or 2-pane glazing in the lower. These survived at least until 1982, as evidenced by a photograph of that date in Historic Scotland's archives. List description revised following resurvey (2008).



Plans in Aitken Turnbull archive, Hawick. Shown on 2nd Edition Ordnance Survey map (1897). Charles Alexander Strang, Borders & Berwick (RIAS, 1994), p143. Alex F Young, Old Hawick (2004), p16. Frank T Scott, 'J. P. Alison, Architect: His Part in the Development of Hawick, 1888-1914', Transactions of the Hawick Archaeological Society, 1986, p25. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006), p362. Information courtesy of owners (2007).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 49 NORTH BRIDGE STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 03:14