Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000020 - (See Notes)
Date Added
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
NT 50456 15095
350456, 615095


James Pearson Alison, 1900. 2 distinct but internally connected, Dutch-inspired Art Nouveau blocks comprising shops at ground floor and tenements above.

NO 45: Symmetrical 2-storey and attic, 3-bay gabled tenement with large central round-arched shop window flanked by depressed-arch doorways. Squared, roughly coursed, lightly stugged red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Deep bracketed cornice to ground floor. 4 stone steps to small-pane-glazed doors in corniced depressed-arched surrounds to outer bays; key-blocked oval windows above; plate glass in round-arched opening with panelled voussoirs to centre. Oriel windows with scalloped parapets in outer bays at 1st floor; mullioned quadripartite windows in centre bay at 1st and attic floors. Arrowslit window and curved apex to gable. INTERIOR: Entrance lobby through left door with floor mosaic bearing monogram 'JPA' (see NOTES); internal half-glazed secondary front door in round-arched architrave; hall with timber balustraded staircase with Arts and Crafts detailing; oval stair window at 1st floor. 2-panel timber doors to 1st floor, with some Art Nouveau copper fittings; 4-panel timber doors to 2nd and attic floors. Some cornices. Leaded lights with decorative wrought-iron catches to 1st- and 2nd-floor windows; heraldic stained glass dated 1900 to centre windows of oriels. Cast-iron corner fireplace to rear attic room.

NO 47: Symmetrical, 2-storey and attic, 3-bay block. Lightly stugged red sandstone ashlar with polished dressings. Arcaded shop at ground floor with key-blocked voussoirs, semi-octagonal engaged pinnacles rising from springing point, and ornate carving to spandrels of central arch. Fascia and cornice above.

continuous fascia: pilasters with semi-octagonal capitals, extended lantern-shaped consoles, and moulded cornice. Glazed door in depressed arched surround with banded voussoirs and decoratively carved spandrels with blank escutcheons to centre; plate glass windows in segmental-arched surrounds with banded voussoirs in outer bays. Corniced tripartite mullioned and transomed windows in outer bays at 1st floor. Pedimented tripartite windows in shaped gables crowned with open segmental pediments and finials to outer bays, linked by panelled parapet; later tripartite dormer window to attic. Fixed plate glass to shop; non-traditional windows to flats. Large flat-roofed 20th-century extension at ground floor and basement to rear. INTERIOR: Internal walls and all decorative features of ground floor removed. Original scale-and-platt stone staircase with cast-iron balustrade and polished timber handrail from ground to 1st floor; half-glazed timber landing doors to flats. Timber scale-and-platt stair to 2nd floor, 4-panel timber doors, timber panelling around front windows, timber boarding around rear windows, and some cornices and timber chimneypieces in each flat. Some timber panelling in cellar.

BOTH: Stone skews. Corniced ashlar end stacks with circular red clay cans. Grey slate roof. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hoppers.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group comprises Nos 41, 43 & 43A, 45 & 47 and 49 North Bridge Street - see separate list entries.

Two elements in a range of five outstanding Dutch-, Art Nouveau- and Arts and Crafts red sandstone buildings, with fine detailing, all by James Pearson Alison (1862-1932), Hawick's most prominent architect, who built No 45 for his own use (hence the 'JAP' monogram in the entrance). Alison had commenced practice in the town in 1888 and remained there until his death, during which period he was responsible for a large number of buildings of widely varying types and styles, including a considerable proportion of Hawick's listed structures. The client for No 47 was the Cycle Company Ltd.

Beneath Alison's home and office at No 45 was, in the early 20th century, the dressmakers' store Hathorn & Wither. This part of the building is now accessed through and in the same ownership as No 47, retaining some original details such as an egg-and-dart cornice which are lacking in the entirely modernised interior at No 47 itself.

Previously listed separately, the listing has been combined due to the interconnectedness of the interiors (2007). List description revised following resurvey (2008).



Plans in Aitken Turnbull archive, Hawick. Shown on 3rd Edition Ordnance Survey map (1917). Frank T Scott, 'J. P. Alison, Architect: His Part in the Development of Hawick, 1888-1914', Transactions of the Hawick Archaeological Society, 1986, p25. Charles Alexander Strang, Borders and Berwick (RIAS, 1994), p143. Alex F Young, Old Hawick (2004), p16. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006), p362.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 45 AND 47 NORTH BRIDGE STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 03:12