Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

43 AND 43A NORTH BRIDGE STREETLB48106

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020 - (See Notes)
Date Added
02/08/2001
Local Authority
Scottish Borders
Planning Authority
Scottish Borders
Burgh
Hawick
NGR
NT 50460 15080
Coordinates
350460, 615080

Description

James Pearson Alison, 1902. 3-storey and attic, roughly 3-bay, symmetrical, gabled block comprising commercial accommodation at ground floor and living accommodation above, with Dutch-inspired Arts and Crafts detailing. Stugged, squared, coursed red sandstone with polished ashlar dressings. Deep ground-floor cornice. Chamfered window margins. Central 2-storey projection with shop window at ground floor, stone-mullioned bipartite window at 1st floor and curved parapet. Stone steps to timber-boarded, half-glazed (small-pane to left, oval to right) doors in stop-chamfered, moulded surrounds with depressed-arched multi-pane fanlights in outer bays, labelled 'STUDIO' (left) and 'HOUSE' (right). 2 tripartite, stone-mullioned windows to 2nd floor; arrowslit attic window in apex of gable.

Fixed-pane glazing to ground-floor display window; plate glass in timber sash and case windows at 1st floor; non-traditional uPVC windows above. Grey slate roof with metal ridge. Ashlar-coped skews. Corniced ridge stacks with circular red clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods with decorative hopper.

INTERIOR: 4 slender metal columns supporting roof of former photographic studio at ground floor to rear (see NOTES). Some 2-panel timber doors to ground floor. Polychrome ceramic floor tiles in geometric pattern to lobby of 'House'; timber stair to 1st floor; some decorative cornices and servants' bell indicator at 1st floor; timber stair with square timber balusters, fretted slats, square newels and polished timber handrail to upper storeys; small cast-iron chimneypiece at 2nd floor.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group comprises Nos 41, 43 & 43A, 45 & 47 and 49 North Bridge Street - see separate list entries.

One element in a range of five striking Dutch-, Art Nouveau- and Arts and Crafts-inspired red sandstone buildings, with fine detailing, all by James Pearson Alison (1862-1932), Hawick's most prominent architect, who built the adjacent No 45 for his own use. Alison had commenced practice in the town in 1888, and remained there until his death in 1932, during which period he was responsible for a large number of buildings of widely varying types and styles, including a considerable proportion of Hawick's listed structures.

This building was built as the studio, workshop and house of 'Artist Photographer, Portrait & Animal Painter & Picture Framer' John Edward Dodd Murray (born 1858). Despite competition from Robert Bell and Thomas T Wilkinson in High Street, Jenner & Co in Exchange Arcade and G A Robinson, also in (North) Bridge Street, Murray - popularly known as 'J.E.D.' (pronounced 'Jed') - became 'Hawick's Photographer'. His clients including the bicycle club, the operatic society and each year's Cornet (leader of Hawick's Common Riding, a major festival commemorating the 1514 defeat of Lord Dacre's English Army at Hornshole, two miles away, by a party of local youths); he was Cornet himself in 1890. Plans for 43 North Bridge Street were approved in June 1902, and Murray moved here in November 1902 from his previous premises on the corner of North Bridge Street and Croft Road, where the former post office now stands. JED died in 1936 but his son Melgund remained in business at the premises until 1972 when he sold it upon his retirement.

The ground floor and basement of the building are now occupied by the Border Club. The former photographic studio, which occupies the rear part of the ground floor of the building, retains its original form, although the skylights which originally occupied the entire length of the sloping section of ceiling to the north have been filled in. The ground drops steeply away to the rear of the building, allowing for an additional basement floor which now contains a snooker hall. The original plans show that the accommodation in the house above the studio comprised a kitchen with a scullery off it, a dining room, a drawing room, four bedrooms and a bathroom. JED turned one of the bedrooms into a smoking room, in which he kept Common Riding memorabilia; the current owner [2007] believes that this must have been the 2nd-floor north room at the front of the house, which was severely nicotine-stained when she bought it. List description revised following resurvey (2008).

References

Bibliography

Plans in Aitken Turnbull archive, Hawick. Shown on 3rd Edition OS map (1923). Frank T Scott, 'J. P. Alison, Architect: His Part in the Development of Hawick, 1888-1914', Transactions of the Hawick Archaeological Society, 1986, p25. Charles Alexander Strang, Borders and Berwick (RIAS, 1994), p143. Zilla Oddy, J.E.D. Murray: A Man Of Many Parts (1999). Alex F Young, Old Hawick (2004), p16. Kitty Cruft, John Dunbar and Richard Fawcett, The Buildings of Scotland: Borders (2006), p362.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 43 AND 43A NORTH BRIDGE STREET

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 10/08/2022 03:03