Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

27-41 (Odd Numbers) Forrest Road, EdinburghLB47864

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
29/03/2001
Last Date Amended
17/07/2015
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 25651 73197
Coordinates
325651, 673197

Description

1872. 4-storey 10-bay asymmetrical Scots Baronial tenement block with canted bay to corner of Forresthill and advanced gabled block with pend to outer left. Squared and snecked bull-faced sandstone with polished dressings (painted to ground). Continuous cornice to ground floor; moulded string course between 2nd and 3rd floors. Advanced 4-bay block with pyramidal slated spirelets to canted windows at corners to outer right: later pilastered limestone-faced shop front (black granite below cills) to ground floor: recessed glazed door with plate glass fanlight flanked by black granite Doric columns to outer right; bipartites in 2nd bay from right at 1st and 2nd floors; carved panel to centre at 3rd floor; 2 timber dormers to attic. 5-bay recessed block to centre: pilastraded shops: foliated colonnettes remaining at No 39; Art Deco shop with recessed border glazed door, inset marble step and green marble facing at No 35 bratishing to continuous cornice; timber panelled doors with plate glass fanlights in depressed-arched surrounds to outer right and 2nd bay from left; piend-roofed tripartite canted window to centre; pedimented dormerheads breaking eaves in 1st and 2nd bays from left and 1st bay from right; crowstepped dormerhead and bipartites in 2nd bay from right. Advanced gabled block to left: shoulder-arched pend to ground floor: 4-leaf timber boarded studded door with decorative metal grille; bipartites to upper floors; carved panel between 1st and 2nd floors; small blind arrow slit in crowstepped gable; 2-storey corbelled bartizan with finialled slated conical roof and original curved glazing in re-entrant angle.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Corniced ridge stacks with circular cans.

Statement of Special Interest

Strategically-sited terrace of tenements, on the road leading from the High Street to the Meadows.

The planned street triangle of Forrest Road, Bristo Place and Teviot Row was conceived as part of Thomas Hamilton's (1784-1858) vision for the new Southern Approach Road linking Princes Street to George Square and the Meadows (via the Mound, Bank Street and the new George IV Bridge).

Forrest Road, which first appears on Pollock's 1834 Plan of Edinburgh, was built on the grounds of the former Poor House.

The City Improvement Act brought in by Lord Provost Chambers in 1867 was to implement better housing standards and to replace the medieval slum areas in Edinburgh's Old Town. The groups of baronial style tenement blocks on Forrest Road and Teviot Place were built as a direct result of this development phase.

The tenement block of 27-41 Forrest Road is visible on the Ordnance Survey map of Edinburgh 1877.

Listed building record and statutory address updated (2015). Previously listed as '27-41 (Odd nos) Forrest Road'.

References

Bibliography

Royal Commission on the Ancient and Historical Monuments of Scotland: http://www.rcahms.gov.uk/canmore.html CANMORE ID 125940

W. & A.K. Johnston Limited (1834) Pollock's plan of Edinburgh, Leith & suburbs; engraven, to accompany Pollock's new guide through Edinburgh. Edinburgh: s.n.

Ordnance Survey (Surveyed 1877, published 1880) Large scale Scottish town plans, Town Plan of Edinburgh (south west part). London: Ordnance Survey.

Gifford, J. McWilliam, C. and Walker, D. (1991) The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh. London: Penguin Books. p. 733.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

East elevation, 27-41 (Odd Numbers) Forrest Road, Edinburgh

Printed: 28/01/2022 20:03