Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

7-12 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS) CHARLESTOWN VILLAGE, (NORTH ROW)LB47808

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
31/12/1971
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 06624 83732
Coordinates
306624, 683732

Description

Later 18th century-earlier 19th century. Symmetrical row of 6 single storey cottages, broken by 2 central cottages with attics. Brick upper storeys added circa 1850. Rendered sandstone; pebble dash to 11

Charlestown Village.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical 3 bays each; central door; flanking windows.

W ELEVATION: plain gable.

N ELEVATION: some contemporary rear wings and modern extensions.

E ELEVATION: window in gable wall.

2-pane sash and case windows to 8 and 9 Charlestown Village; replacement fenestration to 7, 11 and 12 Charlestown Village and rear. Box windows flank central 10 Charlestown Village front door; continuous canopy above forms porch cover to door. 2 pitched dormer windows to 9 Charlestown Village; 2 flat-headed dormer windows to 10 Charlestown Village. Continuous piended slate roof, broken by raised pitched slate roof to 9 and 10 Charlestown Village. Slate laid in diminishing courses. Single shared ridge stack to 7 and 8 Charlestown Village; gable apex stacks to 9 and 10 and shared central ridge stack; shared ridge stack to 11 and 12 Charlestown Village; gable end stack to 12 Charlestown Village.

INTERIORS: not seen, 2000.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with 1-90 Charlestown Village, exluding 36-37 and 52-55 Charlestown Village; Charlestown, Bridge of Former Elgin Railway; Charlestown, Camsie House; Charlestown Harbour; Charlestown Harbour Road, Limekilns; Charlestown Village, K6 Telephone Kiosk; Charlestown Village, The Queen's Hall; Charlestown, 8, 10, 14, The Sutlery, 16, 18 Rocks Road; Charlestown, 12 Rocks Road, The Old School House; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Former Estate Workshop; Charlestown, Rocks Road, Old School. Charlestown Village was built by Charles, 5th Earl of Elgin (1732-1771) and was continued by his successors. It was built to the plan of the letter "K" and an elongated "E" (Kincardine and Elgin) and named after its founder. The Earl of Elgin exploited the nearby deposits of coal and limestone to create an industry which involved the establishment of the largest limeworks in Scotland, an iron foundry, brick works, the export of coal and coke, the necessary transport for the materials which included wagonways and the harbour and provided accommodation for the workers. Construction of the planned village commenced in 1756 at the middle stroke of the E (Double Row) with uniform workmen's cottages. By 1771, South Row, Lochaber and part of North Row had been built. The completion of North Row was the final stage in the development of the planned village. The houses were all built to the same size in sets of 6 with clay pantiles which were glazed black in colour to look like slate (some cottages retain these black tiles), and with a front or rear yard and rear kitchen extensions forming a double hipped roof to the cottages. In 1840 6 wells were placed in the village, by the 1920's water was piped to every house and in 1930 indoor lavatories were installed. Most of the cottages are now in private ownership, although some still belong to the Broomhall Estate. The planned village has survived well and its importance is enhanced by the retention of its associated structures including the Queen's Hall, shop, school, limekilns and harbour.

References

Bibliography

J Ainslie, COUNTY OF FIFE Map, 1775; S Chesher, L Foster, L Hogben, A SHORT HISTORY OF THE VILLAGES, 1979, pp15-29; G Pride, THE KINGDOM OF FIFE, 1990, p31; N Fotheringham, CHARLESTOWN, 1997; Additional information courtesy of Lord Bruce.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 7-12 (INCLUSIVE NUMBERS) CHARLESTOWN VILLAGE, (NORTH ROW)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 03:07