Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BALMULE INCLUDING WALLED GARDEN, COACH HOUSE, GRANARY AND GATEPIERSLB47798

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
23/03/2001
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 10176 91362
Coordinates
310176, 691362

Description

17th century. Square-plan tower house, partially engulfed by circa 1890's house to N and wings. Built onto slope; 2-storey with basement and attic. Basement plinth extends along later house. Exposed stonework; irregularly coursed to tower; snecked elsewhere. Ashlar quoins and surrounds to openings.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central section with flanking advanced gabled wings. Right wing: 2-leaf panelled door to left; semi-circular fanlight. Advanced pilastered porch; arches in each elevation; glazed left and right arches; surmounting balustrade. Stone steps lead up to porch from ground. Mullioned and transomed window to right of porch. 1st floor window centred above ground floor window; attic window in apex. Central section: 2 small basement windows. Tripartite ground floor window; stone mullions and transoms; stained glass depicting 3 Roman goddesses. Ground floor window to left; 4 1st floor windows including tall stained glass window to far left with stone transom. Left wing: 2 ground floor windows; stone transoms. Pedimented tripartite 1st floor window; stone mullions and transoms; curvilinear ashlar base below cill.

E ELEVATION: flat-roofed porch extension to right; bipartite window to right; 2-leaf garage door to centre; single window to left. Ground floor window to left; stone transom; 2 small central windows. 2 1st floor bipartite windows; stone mullions.

S ELEVATION: porch set back to far right; window to right; door to left; curved door opening with flat lintel; plain fanlight. Central tower house with advanced flanking gabled wings. Right wing; central basement window. Bipartite ground and 1st floor windows; stone transom and mullion; single attic window in apex. Central tower house section; basement window to right; 2 small windows to left. 3 ground and 1st floor windows; single window later inserted to right on ground and 1st floors. Left wing mirrors right wing apart from corniced box bay window; slightly advanced at basement and ground level; single basement window; tripartite ground floor window; stone mullions and transoms; no side lights.

W ELEVATION: corniced, canted 2-storey fenestration bay; single ground floor window; mullioned and transomed 1st floor bipartite window; single lights in splay. Single 1st floor windows above; ground floor window to left; stone transom; 1st floor bipartite window to far left; stone mullion.

Various glazing patterns used to decorative effect. Diamond pattern astragals in upper panes in majority of later house windows. Principal elevation; central section; 1st floor upper panes have intersecting outer astragals. Majority of other windows have single lower pane and 6, 8 or 12 upper panes. S elevation, tower house section: ground and 1st floor right windows probably inserted c.1890. 3 left 1st floor windows have been raised, lower portions blocked in, possibly indicating change in floor level. Rooflights to rear. Steep pitched roof; grey slate; decorative clay ridge tiles and finials to gable apexes. Bargeboards; decorative king post and tie-beams to principal elevation gables; over-hanging eaves; exposed rafters. Coped ridge stacks; shouldered, coped wall end stack to E wing

INTERIOR: not seen, 2000.

WALLED GARDEN: rubble walls enclosing large garden to W of house; replacement timber doors; flat wallhead; buttressed to inner E wall.

COACH HOUSE, CARTSHED AND GRANARY

Earlier 19th century. Single storey coachouse to S of courtyard, cartshed with granary above to N. Random sandstone rubble; droved surrounds to openings, and quoins; ashlar eaves course.

COACH HOUSE

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation; central arch; replacement infil timber doors; inset keystone; carved with crest, initials HW and E ?C (Henry Wardlaw and wife Elizabeth) and dated 1605. Pediment above entrance; 3 doocot flightholes in tympanum. Flanking wings set back; round-headed window in each.

W ELEVATION: window (former door). Modern building to left.

N ELEVATION: door to left; modern timber building to right.

E ELEVATION: central door blocked up; window to right.

CARTSHED AND GRANARY

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: open fronted to courtyard; 3 segmental-arched cart openings; stone piers. 3 square granary openings centred above. Stone steps lead up from S to central door in E gable wall. Other elevations, not seen, 2000.

GATEPIERS: corniced stone entrance gatepiers; pyramidal coping stone; replacement gates. Pair stone gatepiers; pyramidal coping stones situated on driveway between entrance piers and house; leading to former road and bridge over Meldrum's Mill Burn.

Statement of Special Interest

B-Group with Balmule Farm, Former Farmhouse. Balmule is first mentioned on Ainslie's Map as Balmule Place, belonging to Robert Moody and again on an 1828 map as Balmule Place. Versions of the name Balmule are depicted on J Blaeu's maps, The Sherifdome of Fyfe, 1654 (Balmoold) and The West part of Fife, 1654 (Bamuley). Balmule is depicted on the 1st Edition OS Map as a square building, before its late 19th century additions. Balmule is said to have a vaulted cellar with meat hooks (owner's information). Sir Henry Wardlaw of Balmule and Pitreavie was chamberlain to Queen Anne, Consort of James VI in 1603 and became the King's master of works. The datestone above the coach house possibly came from the tower house. Balmule Farm, the home farm of Balmule (situated to the NW of Balmule) has a crowstepped farmhouse (see separate List), possibly contemporary with Balmule tower house.

References

Bibliography

J Blaeu, THE SHERIFDOME OF FYFE, 1654; J Blaeu, THE WEST PART OF FIFE, 1654; J Ainslie, COUNTY OF FIFE Map, 1775; 1st Edition OS Map, 1856; Groome, ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, 1882, p117; Burke, PEERAGE & BARONETAGE, Vol 2, 1936, p2426

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BALMULE INCLUDING WALLED GARDEN, COACH HOUSE, GRANARY AND GATEPIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 20/07/2019 02:38