Listed Building

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site only. All other information in the record is not statutory.

BRODICK CASTLE ESTATE, BAVARIAN SUMMERHOUSELB47599

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Group Category Details
100000019 - See Notes
Date Added
14/04/1971
Local Authority
North Ayrshire
Planning Authority
North Ayrshire
Parish
Kilbride
NGR
NS 1683 37725
Coordinates
201683, 637725

Description

1845. Single storey, 12-sided rustic summerhouse, on rocks at edge of steeply falling ground to S. Timber post and panel construction. Externally decorated with intertwined rhododendron branches. Grey slate facetted roof with overhanging eaves and pointed finial. 6 pairs of opening casement windows below semi-circular arched deadlights, divided as pairs of lancets. Cast iron diagonal glazing bars and diamond-pane glazing. Double softwood doors, with applied pattern of rhododendron roots and octagonal brass door knob, within segmental arch doorway.

INTERIOR (Seen 2010): Half-height lining of split unplaned logs. Frieze consisting of panels with geometric patterns of applied fir cones. Ceiling decorated with fir cones and hazel poles in geometric pattern with multi-point star at centre. Painted timber benches fitted against walls. Timber boarded floor.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of A Group at Brodick Castle Estate comprising: Brodick Castle; Bavarian Summerhouse; Cnocan Burn Road Bridge; Greenhyde and Castle Cottages; Ice House; Walled Garden; the Nursery; Main Gates, West Gates and Coastal Boundary Walls; South Gates; Sylvania and Brodick Kennels.

A rare and outstanding example of an elaborately decorated summerhouse, situated within a designed picturesque landscape. This summerhouse is the sole survivor of four shown on the 1864 OS map. Built for Princess Marie of Baden, who moved to Brodick shortly after her marriage (1843) and became Duchess of Hamilton in 1852. these were located at key scenic points along designed 'Romantic Walks', constructed between 1843 and 1863. The character of these walks has been eroded by subsequent softwood planting. Rustic summerhouses were fashionable features of landscaped gardens by the late 18th century and were generally sited at vantage points, such as this. This example, prominently sited on a rocky knoll, provides views to the Firth of Clyde and serves as an ornamental feature seen from the coastal road. The designer is unknown, however, William Burn (1789-1870) was engaged by the estate around this time and is known to have produced several unbuilt designs, including an octagonal 'Kiosque in the Wood', while James Gillespie Graham (1776-1855) designed extensions to the Castle and laid out terraces there during the 1840s.

Brodick Castle Estate, now a discreet entity, was originally the nucleus of the Lands of Arran. Fought over during the Scottish War of Independence, it was transformed into an Earldom and granted to James Hamilton by his cousin, King James IV, in 1503. The Isle of Arran remained as one of the minor estates of the Dukes of Hamilton until the late 19th century. Agricultural improvements in the 18th century, culminating in the clearances of the early 19th century, eventually displaced the small scale and subsistence farming on the island. In the mid-19th, improved transportation made Brodick an attractive picturesque resort and hunting destination for the Hamiltons and the castle was substantially rebuilt with the area around it laid out as gardens and pleasure grounds. On the death of the 12th Duke, in 1895, Brodick passed to the future Duchess of Montrose. In 1957 the Castle and the policies immediately surrounding were conveyed to the National Trust for Scotland.

In poor condition by 1993, the summerhouse has subsequently been restored (circa 2000). Of the interior decoration, only the ceiling, reputed to be by Bavarian Craftsmen, is original, while the decorative wall panels are late 20th century reproductions.

List description revised as part of the National Trust for Scotland Estates Review, 2010-11.

References

Bibliography

Argyllshire 1st edition OS map (surveyed 1864). Rob Close Ayshire and Arran, An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992), p202. S Cooper (Ed) An Inventory of Ornamental Garden Buildings in Scotland. Volume 8 Strathclyde (1996). Philip A Schreiber 'National Trust for Scotland, Brodick Castle, Quinquennial Survey' (1993) p.155. Landskip and Prospec, The Policies & Gardens at Brodick Castle & Country Park Landscape Survey (1996). Francesca Greenoak The Gardens of the National Trust for Scotland (2005), pp.15-19. Addyman Archaeology Brodick Castle Historic Survey and Analytical Assessment (2009). Historic Scotland Inventory of Gardens & Designed Landscapes (RCAHMS MS 499/2/37). National Trust for Scotland Archives.

About Listed Buildings

Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.

The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.

If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BRODICK CASTLE ESTATE, BAVARIAN SUMMERHOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 12/12/2018 18:48