Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
NS 37532 24051
237532, 624051


William Henry Playfair, 1822. Single bay, square-plan, open-roofed Doric mausoleum to James Campbell. Coursed sandstone ashlar. Plinth of 3 stone steps; deep entablature with triglyph frieze supported on 2 pairs of Doric columns to each elevation; architraved doorway with iron gate to E, N and S elevations, W elevation blank. Stone flagged floor to interior; grey granite tombstone on sandstone plinth to inside of W wall.

Statement of Special Interest

A-Group with St Quivox Parish Church and Graveyard (see separate listings). Originally called Sanchar-in-Kyle, St Quivox Parish church and Churchyard was originally in the parish of Kyle, which amalgamated with Ayr and Newton-upon-Ayr in 1895. The church has also been called St Kenockis, St Cavocks and St Evox. The Mausoleum to the Campbells of Craigie lies to the SE of St Quivox Parish Church, within the Churchyard. Miniature Greek Revival temple, contemporary with Playfair's masterpiece the Royal Scottish Academy on the Mound in Edinburgh (see separate listing).



Thomson's map of Ayrshire, 1828 (undesignated); EDINBURGH UNIVERSITY LIBRARY, PLAYFAIR COLLECTION (1822, 9 Sheets); 1st (1860) and 2nd (1897) EDITION OS MAPS; THE NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT OF SCOTLAND (1845), p123; FH Groome ORDNANCE GAZETTEER OF SCOTLAND, Vol 6 (1892), pp315-6; H Colvin A BIOGRAPHICAL DICTIONARY OF BRITISH ARCHITECTS, 1600-1840 (1995, 3rd edition), p767; Rob Close AYRSHIRE AND ARRAN (1992), p40; Nana Taylor A SHORT HISTORY OF ST QUIVOX CHURCH (1995).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to ST QUIVOX, ST QUIVOX PARISH CHURCH, MAUSOLEUM

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 22/05/2019 08:44