Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

PITTENCRIEFF PARK, PITTENCRIEFF LODGE AND GATEWAY (PITTENCRIEFF STREET)LB46935

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
10/03/2000
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Dunfermline
NGR
NT 08604 87499
Coordinates
308604, 687499

Description

Dated 1883. Single storey; asymmetrical; overall L-plan; entrance lodge and adjacent gateway. Both coursed stugged sandstone with sandstone ashlar dressings. Prominent gables (formerly finialled) to lodge, all raised to a point mid-pitch on either side (except that to dormerheaded bipartite to N elevation) and with circular panel with quatrefoil motif to centre; 3 mullioned tripartite canted windows (to opposing sides). Base course to lodge; eaves band; architraved windows with chamfered reveals; coped gables with moulded skewputts.

W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gable end to left; mullioned canted tripartite to centre. Gabled porch set back to right; shield to gable inscribed '1883'; basket-arched entrance with chamfered reveal (jambs individually chamfered and stopped, as is opposing outer right edge of porch); panelled timber door with arched fanlight. Blank side elevation of wing set back to right.

N ELEVATION: gabled bay to outer right with breaking-eaves mullioned canted tripartite set within gabled dormerhead. Mullioned bipartite with gabled dormerhead to left. Plain window to left.

S ELEVATION: projecting section to left with finialled gabled left bay; mullioned canted tripartite to centre. Side of entrance porch set back to left.

Replacement UPVC windows. Grey slate roofs. Adjoining pair of corniced octagonal mid-pitch stacks on square bases to W; coped ridge stack to main ridge; cans missing.

INTERIOR: not inspected (1999).

GATEWAY: double timber gates with wrought-iron panels and flanking pedestrian gates, set at centre of semicircular-plan railed wall with flanking piers. Ashlar piers/gatepiers of square plan; each with base course; panelled and chamfered and stopped sides; frieze; rounded coping (slightly projecting at base and with semicircular motif to each side) surmounted by ball finial. Railed walls stepped up from central gateway; chamfered coping.

Statement of Special Interest

Built as the N lodge and entrance gateway to the then privately-owned Pittencrieff House and its grounds. A semicircular-plan entrance has existed on this site since at least the early 1820's (one is shown on Wood's plan of Dunfermline). Both the house and surrounding parkland were bought by Andrew Carnegie in 1902. The grounds were opened as a public park the following year. See separate list descriptions for other park buildings, including Pittencrieff House and E Gateway.

References

Bibliography

previous gateway shown on same site on J Wood's PLAN OF THE TOWN OF DUNFERMLINE (1823); AN INVENTORY OF GARDENS AND DESIGNED LANDSCAPES IN SCOTLAND, VOL 4; TAYSIDE, CENTRAL AND FIFE (circa 1985) pp409-14.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PITTENCRIEFF PARK, PITTENCRIEFF LODGE AND GATEWAY (PITTENCRIEFF STREET)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/11/2022 04:16