Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NG 16812 49801
116812, 849801


Said to be mid 18th century; restored 1972. Pair buildings of

coursed and caulked, roughly squared rubble with thatched

roofs; some iron pins remain in north mill gable to which the

thatch was fastened. Mill: simple rectangular building with

wheel to south gable and west wall built into side of hill;

simple wooden lade channels water to overshot wheel, which

motivates original machinery still in situ. Detached kiln has

west wall built into slope; two thirds interior taken up by

kiln, about 8' high, of rubble with ground floor vent for

fire, and perforated iron kiln plate covering the top. Small

square (renewed) chimney to north; piended thatched roof.

Statement of Special Interest

Glendale Mill situated by shore in use until 1914. Served not

only west Duirinish but grain was brought from Waternish and

also from Harris. Mill wheel made by Thomas Main, Edinburgh,

and installed 1902. It replaced previous wooden wheel.

Original gear-wheel, main shaft and cast-iron parts; some

minor replacements during 1972 restoration. Millstone

(on internal half-floor) from Rogart Mill, Sutherland.



Information by courtesy of Glendale Mill Museum.



About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to GLENDALE MILL AND KILN (NOW MUSEUM)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/09/2019 22:20