Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

1-11 (INCLUSIVE NOS) CANNING STREET LANE AND 2 CANNING STREET, ATHOLL HOUSELB46521

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Group Category Details
100000019 - see notes
Date Added
27/10/1999
Local Authority
Edinburgh
Planning Authority
Edinburgh
Burgh
Edinburgh
NGR
NT 24447 73393
Coordinates
324447, 673393

Description

Later and late 19th century; later additions and alterations. 3-storey and basement, 6-bay late 19th century Atholl House adjoining later 19th century predominantly 2-storey, 26-bay mews block. Squared and snecked stugged sandstone with droved long and short surrounds. Long and short quoins; diving band course at ground floor of Canning Street elevation; majority of basement windows barred.

NE (CANNING STREET) ELEVATION: near-symmetrical; half-sunken windows to each bay of basement, some infilled; corniced, architraved former doorway to penultimate bay to right, now glazed; regular fenestration to remainder of ground floor and to upper floors; deeply chamfered angle to outer right with broad doorway to ground floor, bipartite windows to 1st and 2nd floors above.

SE (CANNING STREET LANE) ELEVATION: asymmetrical, 3-storey and basement 4-bay block to outer right: barred windows to basement, recessed door to doorway to ground floor at left, surmounted by small 2-pane window; regular fenestration to remaining bays of all floors. 4 gabled bays adjoining to left: modern garages, doorway and pair of louvred windows to ground floor; irregular fenestration to 1st floor; blind tablets set in gableheads; carved stone finials. 3-storey originally gabled block adjoining to left, irregular doorways and fenestration; remaining bays to left gabled (except penultimate bay to left) with doorways and garage openings irregularly disposed at ground floor, windows to 1st floor above, blind tablets set in gableheads, carved stone finials; bay to outer left advanced, gablehead tablet carved with 'AH', gablehead stack.

SW ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining buildings.

NW (ATHOLL CRESCENT LANE) ELEVATIONS: 3-storey and basement near-symmetrical block to outer left; deeply chamfered angle with doorway to Atholl House (see above); 3 regularly fenestrated bays at left; window at central bay to ground floor infilled, with half-sunken infilled opening beneath; doorway to ground floor to right of central bay; narrow light to outer right, 3rd floor. 2-storey, 5-bay block adjoining to right, recessed doors with fanlights to ground floor at left, with narrow light between; louvred windows to 2 bays to right; small light to outer left, single windows to 2 bays to left, wide casement windows to 2 bays to right at 1st floor. Doorway and irregular fenestration to 2 gabled bays adjoining to right. Irregular fenestration to 3-storey, 6-bay, flat-roofed, originally gabled, block adjoining to right; remaining bays to right, except penultimate bay to right, gabled with irregular fenestration and doorways.

Variety of predominantly timber-framed windows. Grey slate roofs, piended to Atholl House, with lead ridges. Coped stone skews. Coped gablehead and wallhead stacks to Atholl House and Atholl Crescent Lane elevations, some shouldered, with predominantly octagonal moulded cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIORS: not seen 1999.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of the Edinburgh New Town A-Group, a significant surviving part of one of the most important and best preserved examples of urban planning in Britain. 1-11 Canning Street Lane was originally built as coach houses to Atholl Crescent and later converted (only Nos 1-4 are recognisable from the 1877 OS Map). The impressive repeated gable design unifies the crescent. The slightly later 2 Canning Street, Atholl House, appears to have originally been built as a tenement and subsequently adapted to official use. Its design is related to that of nearby earlier terraces such as Rutland Square (see separate listings).

References

Bibliography

1877 and 1896 OS MAPS; J Gifford, C McWilliam and D Walker, EDINBURGH (Buildings of Scotland series), (1984), p370; NMRS Photographs.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 1-11 (INCLUSIVE NOS) CANNING STREET LANE AND 2 CANNING STREET, ATHOLL HOUSE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 28/09/2020 08:30