Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

BLAIR CASTLE (CARLOW CONVALESCENT HOME FOR MINERS)LB46425

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
A
Date Added
20/06/1972
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Parish
Culross
NGR
NS 96863 85862
Coordinates
296863, 685862

Description

Circa 1800-1830, substantial, 3-storey, square-plan, symmetrical country house/villa, in the late classical style of Robert Adam (see NOTES), altered slightly, and with additions made presumably circa 1927 at the time of its foundation as a miners' welfare home.

Main house block: 3 bays to each elevation. Grey sandstone ashlar; rusticated ground floor, taller principal/1st floor, shorter upper/2nd floor; base course, band courses dividing floors and eaves band. Timber sash and case windows throughout, replaced at ground and principal/1st floors with plate glass glazing pattern to S (partially 12-paned to subsidiary elevations), 12-paned sashes to upper/2nd floor. Shallow slated piend roof; ashlar cross-wall stacks. Single-storey, flat-roofed wings flanking, additions of circa 1927 period, masking (further recessed, and extending further out to either side) original single-storey, piend roofed wings, that to right (E) still apparent, with over-arched centre bay framing central window on S elevation, and stepped blocking course at eaves over arch. Symmetrical wing to left (W) submerged behind later single-storey flat-roofed circa 1927 additions, which extend further to W, attached to 2-storey flat-roofed block (see NOTES).

Tripartite PRINCIPAL (S) ELEVATION, central, full-height, pedimented bay slightly in advance of single-window side bays. Central bay with di-style Doric PORCH (see NOTES) at ground, tri-partite window set in segmentally-arched opening at principal/1st floor; tripartite at upper/2nd floor. 1st/2nd floors clasped by giant paired Ionic pilaster order supporting frieze blocks with simplified rosette detail below eaves/wallhead pediment; shallow rectangular recess in pediment head. Paired stacks framing pediment behind.

4 piend-roofed blocks of rear wings to N. Circa 1927 chimney addition rising on exterior of W elevation, and high above wallhead.

INTERIOR: Corinthian columned screen in entrance vestibule, columns with distinctively detailed circular abaci. Top-lit half-turn stair with landings, with decorative cast-iron balustrade. Principal rooms with decorative plasterwork ceilings and cornices, and some contemporary chimneypieces and slips. ?Drawing room with fielded panelling over dado skirting panelling, Corinthianesque pilasters framing buffet recess, with garland-detail decorative frieze, simple cornice, plain ceiling, and polished black marble chimney-piece.

Statement of Special Interest

Built to supersede an older castle of the same name.

In use since 1927 as National Coal Board Convalescent Home.

Stylistically, Blair follows closely Robert Adam's 1780's and 1790's designs for Newliston and Jerviston Houses (circa 1789 and 1782), although, in terms of architectural detail it falls short of Adam's standards. The unknown architect of Blair Castle may therefore have worked to a Robert Adam design, not executed in the event by Adam himself; or else, he has been able to imitate, with some success, Adam's fashionable idiom. Richard Crichton would have been capable of such quality work.

The porch's relationship with the building as a whole seems slightly awkward, and might be an addition, or else a symptom of the slight awkwardness in detail, referred to above.

Proposals currently exist to add a pitched roof to the 2-storey circa 1927 block to the W (1993)

References

Bibliography

Gifford, BUILDINGS OF SCOTLAND: FIFE, 1992, pp 100-101, plate 73.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BLAIR CASTLE (CARLOW CONVALESCENT HOME FOR MINERS)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 19/05/2019 17:22