Early to earlier 19th century 2-storey with basement classical house with substantial late 19th to early 20th century French-inspired addition at rear; porch to front; further additions and alterations. Asymmetrical, near L-plan complex comprising symmetrical, 2-storey with basement and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan principal block; taller block adjoined at rear with engaged polygonal corner tower; further additions. Coursed cream sandstone ashlar. Principal block with band course at ground; cill course at 1st floor; corniced eaves. Narrow quoin strips (finialled to front); giant order pilasters dividing bays beneath pediment. Polygonal tower with band course at ground; corniced lintel courses at ground and 1st
floors; corniced eaves; pilastered mullions at upper floor.
NE (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: principal block with sandstone stair accessing projecting, flat-roofed porch centred at ground with tripartite entrance; angle pilasters; corniced eaves; balustraded parapet. Tripartite window centred at 1st floor beneath finialled pediment; single windows at all floors in flanking bays; canted dormers aligned above. Taller block recessed to left with single windows at basement, ground and 1st floors. Regularly fenestrated polygonal tower adjoined to outer left with finialled cupola.
SE (SIDE) ELEVATION: principal block to right with irregularly fenestrated gable end; steps to projecting porch recessed to outer right. Taller, projecting block adjoined to left with regularly fenestrated polygonal
tower to right; shallow pediment and wallhead stack surmounting range to left.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: bowed ashlar bay to original circa 1900 block to left of centre, abutted to centre and right by later lean-to stair tower and single storey projection at ground.
NW (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2 regularly fenestrated bays of early 19th century block to left with 2 irregularly fenestrated bays of circa 1900 addition to right. Circa 1900 bays with Diocletian window at 1st floor to left with 4-light above, and with pedimented ornamental panel at foot of expressed chimney breast to right, flues indicated with strip pilasters.
Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews. Corniced sandstone wallhead and apex stacks; predominantly octagonal cans.
INTERIOR: many original features reported as in place 1999 including original mahogany staircase.
Statement of Special Interest
As shown on the 1856 OS map, Glenpark was originally a simple rectangular-plan, 3-bay classical villa with a stair accessing an entrance centred in the front elevation. Subsequently enlarged and dwarfed by the later work, this original structure remains essentially intact - the giant order pilasters and finialled pediment being particularly good. The addition, itself well-detailed, is particularly notable for its polygonal tower. Although quirky, the juxtaposition of the two parts of Glenpark House is of interest, with elements working to tie them together to achieve an imaginative composition.