There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: C
- Group Category Details: B
- see notes
- Date Added: 16/09/1999
- Local Authority: Fife
- Planning Authority: Fife
- Burgh: Dunfermline
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 11943 84781
- Coordinates: 311943, 684781
Circa 1890. 2-storey and attic; 3-bay; L-plan (with slightly later lean-to outhouse to N); former lodge to Pitreavie Castle. Asymmetrical picturesque cottage with prominent bargeboarded gables and deep overhanging eaves; mullioned and transomed windows to principal (S) elevation. Coursed rockfaced sandstone (rear lean-to coursed stugged sandstone) with droved sandstone ashlar dressings. Quoins at arrises. Long and short surrounds and chamfered reveals to openings.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: entrance to left of centre; open lean-to porch formed by slightly set back continuation of roof of projecting bay to right; supported to left by turned timber post; 2-leaf panelled timber door set back. Mullioned biparite to left. Gable end of short wing projects to right. Mullioned tripartite to ground floor; bipartite above.
N ELEVATION: 3-bay. Pair of adjoining gabled bays to left; that to right slightly lower with entrance to ground floor; part-glazed boarded timber door; flanking narrow windows. Attic window to each gable. Slightly later single-storey lean-to with window projects to outer left bay; entrance with boarded timber door to right return. Tall ground floor window (probably originally door) to left of outer right bay.
E ELEVATION: small window to right of ground floor. Single-storey lean-to adjoins to outer right.
W ELEVATION: blank gable end.
Mainly 6 and 4-pane timber sash and case windows. Rosemary-tiled gabled roof. Gablehead stack to W side; wallhead stack to E; both corniced with frieze; that to E slightly stepped; round cans. Original cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: partially inspected (1999). Layout largely intact with straight single flight staircase behind main entrance.
Statement of Special Interest
B-Group with Pitreavie Castle and dovecot to NE (see separate list descriptions). It was one of two lodges (the West Lodge has since been demolished) built following the acquisition of the Pitreavie estate by Hentry Beveridge (a damask manufacturer) in 1884. In addition to constructing the two lodges he also altered and extended the castle (contributing some very fine interiors to it) and created a Japanese water garden (still in existence, albeit in a dilapidated condition) between the castle and the 'East Lodge'. The castle and estate were purchased by the Air Ministry in 1938 and remained in use by the Ministry of Defence until 1996, during which time a considerable number of military structures were erected. Currently (1999) a private housing development is being constructed on the estate.
appears (without rear lean-to) on 1896 ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP, 1/2500, Fife Sheet XXXIX.10; RCAHMS, INVENTORY OF MONUMENTS AND CONSTRUCTIONS IN THE COUNTIES OF FIFE, KINROSS AND CLACKMANNAN (1933) pp124-25; John Gifford, FIFE, in the 'Buildings of Scotland' series (1988) p345; Bert McEwan, DUNFERMLINE - OUR HERITAGE (1998) pp170-71.
Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for the designation of buildings, monuments, gardens and designed landscapes and historic battlefields. We also advise Scottish Ministers on the designation of historic marine protected areas.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.
There is no map available for this record.