Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

CART HAUGH, CUPAR WAR MEMORIAL WITH PIERS AND RAILINGSLB46365

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
13/09/1999
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
Cupar
NGR
NO 37700 14589
Coordinates
337700, 714589

Description

John Kinross, 1922 with Victory statue by H S Gamley; piers 1950. Square columnar War Memorial with Classical Greek detail, on ground falling steeply to E. Wide steps flanked by 2-stage square-section piers lead to rectangular-plan paved platform with decorative ironwork railings to 3 sides and 3-stage square-section Memorial to centre. Contrasting bronze and granite.

MEMORIAL: stepped granite plinth with pulvinated band below narrow frieze inscribed 'IN MEMORY OF THE MEN OF CUPAR TOWN AND PARISH WHO FELL IN 1914-1918'.

Each face of reduced 2nd stage with corniced and fielded bronze memorial tablet below decorative frieze, and stylised fluted square-section urns set into outer angles, plain band above giving way to cresting of alternate large and small bronze acroteria. Further reduced 3rd stage with decorative frieze and cornice below monumental bronze winged Victory facing W.

PLATFORM AND BOUNDARY WALLS: narrow bull-faced bands surmounted by plain ashlar band with inset decorative ironwork railings.

W ELEVATION: 2 granite piers, each with plinth as memorial plinth giving way to band dated '1939' to left and '1945' to right; plain 2nd stage with bronze memorial tablet to W face and corniced decorative frieze giving way to bronze 'flame' finial.

Commemorative flag stone at base of memorial, worded 'QUEEN MARY PLACED A WREATH HERE ON AUGUST 30TH 1923'.

E ELEVATION: voussoired, ogee-topped, round-headed door to centre with memorial high on platform above.

N AND S ELEVATIONS: scale-and-platt steps with boundary walls.

Statement of Special Interest

This fine War Memorial was unveiled by Field Marshal Earl Haig in 1922, with the WWII piers unveiled by the Earl of Elgin in 1950. It was one of several war memorials designed by Kinross in conjunction with leading contemporary sculptors.

References

Bibliography

Gifford FIFE (1996), p164. THE ROYAL BURGH OF CUPAR OFFICIAL GUIDE (1960).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to CART HAUGH, CUPAR WAR MEMORIAL WITH PIERS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/06/2020 00:28