Style of Burn and Bryce, dated 1851, with later additions and alterations. Asymmetrical, near T-plan, Tudor-detailed complex comprising 2-storey, rectangular-plan former school house with single storey former school room adjoined to E; blocked, gabled porch in re-entrant angle to N; glazed porch in re-entrant angle to S. Squared and snecked tooled cream sandstone (tooled rubble in part); sandstone ashlar dressings. Raised base course; moulded eaves course; coped parapet in part to S. Lightly stugged, raised quoins and long and short surrounds to chamfered openings; sandstone mullions; chamfered cills. Single storey, rectangular-plan ancillary structure to E.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: gabled wing advanced to left with tripartite window centred at ground; bipartite window aligned above. Single storey range recessed to right with large, slightly projecting tripartite window at centre; architraved panel above; blind, round-arched arrowslit centred in surmounting gablehead. Glazed porch set at angle in re-entrant angle to left with carved sandstone brackets beneath sandstone gablehead.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: 2-bay block with single window at ground to right; gabled window breaking eaves above. Slightly advanced, gabled bay to left with tripartite window at ground; corbelled tripartite window projecting at 1st floor.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: gabled bay to right with bipartite windows centred at both floors. Single storey porch adjoined to left with blocked, basket-arched opening at ground, rectangular panel dated '1851' centred in surmounting gablehead.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: gabled wing at centre with full-height projecting stack breaking gablehead. Modern window in blocked, basket-arched porch opening recessed to outer right. Glazed porch set at angle recessed to outer left.
Predominantly modern glazing; some 4-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows to W. Grey slate roof; red tile ridging. Gablet-coped skews; bracketed skewputts (some with tapering sandstone finials). Coped sandstone, clustered ridge stacks centred in 2-storey block; barley-twist cans; apex stack to E single storey range. Cast-iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: tooled cream sandstone rubble; tooled sandstone dressings. W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: step to central timber door; large, square-headed opening in bay to left. Grey slate roof; stone-coped skews. INTERIOR: part used for storage, remainder not seen 1998.
BOUNDARY WALL, GATEPIERS AND GATE: round-arched, tooled sandstone coping to pointed rubble wall enclosing site. Square-plan corniced sandstone gatepiers flanking W entrance; flat caps. Later, square-plan piers to N; 2-leaf modern iron gates.
Statement of Special Interest
Noted in the OS Name Book as "...a neat stone building" with "...a spacious schoolroom, a comfortable residence for the teacher and a garden and playground attached." Now a private residence, this was originally an unendowed mixed school, established by Miss Hume, niece of the philosopher, David Hume, and resident in the nearby Ninewells House - itself designed by William Burn, 1839-41 to replace an earlier structure, and demolished in 1964. In 1866, Rutherfurd recorded a Thomas Muir as school master, and the average attendance as 60.