1826 and later. Whisky distillery with traditional kiln range, bonded warehouses, maltings, steading (converted to offices and warehouse) and former house.
KILN RANGE: square-plan rubble kiuln raised in squared rubble at 2nd stage; random rubble and harl; small-pane glazing and louvred openings.
ENTRANCE ELEVATION: kiln to right of centre with 2 small windows close to eaves of slated roof with wide, low ventilator (see Notes). Slightly recessed, 9-bay, lower granary range to left with door to right, regular fenestration beyond to left and small hayloft openings to1st floor except penultimate bay to left with forestair to timber door. Harled, gabled range adjoining to right.
FORMER STEADING: 7-bay steading with round-headed, keystoned and voussoired cart-arches, raised centre gable and lower flanking ranges. Large squared rubble blocks with dressed margins.
N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Tall centre bay with large cart arch below stone tablet and glazed oculus in gabelhead and 3 arches to flanking bays (all infilled). Lower outer bays with 2 doors to right and 2 windows to left.
S ELEVATION: irregular fenestration to tall M-gable with flanking lower gables.
S RANGE: large range to S of offices, 6 gabled bays to E and W. Harled. Grilled windows to each gable, door to SW gable.
Arrowslit ventilation in gableheads. Tarred roof.
W RANGE: to S of steading. Squared and snecked rubble, 2-storey, 3 gabled bays, sited on rising ground. Arrowslit ventilators to both floors. Doors to N gabled elevation. Irregular fenestration. Stone coped skews and grey slates. Grilles to windows.
OFFICES: immediately to S of stills. Single storey rubble near square-plan, 3 gabled bays to E and W. Segmental-arched pend (converted as door) and windows with cement surrounds to
W . Door and window to N. Modern 4-pane fenestration to offices, grille to workshop(?) window. Stone-coped skews. Grey slates.
DRONACH HOUSE: earlier 19th century. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay, rectangular-plan manager's house. Roughly coursed rubble with large quoins and stone margins.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Pitch-roofed porch to centre bay at ground, windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration to 1st floor. Slated (canted or bowed) dormer window over centre bay.
N ELEVATION: Centry bay with dripmould over modern timber door with plate glass fanlight and small flanking lights, windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration to 1st floor; small modern rooflight to centre.
12-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case (?) windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with full complement of cans and thackstanes.
Statement of Special Interest
Glendronach Distillery, now operated by Allied Distillers, was founded by James Allardes in 1825-26, with J R Thain of Drumblair, Robert Stewart of Aucharnie and Wm Davidson of Aberdeen. After a fire in 1837, Allardes required new partners, all of whom were local farmers. The company was acquired by Walter Scott after 1854 who became a managing partner, but it was taken over by a Leith Partnership Sommerville and Robertson, and a Campbeltown distiller, Duncan MacCallum, in 1887. Between 1920 and 1960 it was the property of the Grant Family but was sold to William Teacher and Sons and became part of Allied Brewer's Group in 1976. It was extended from 2 to 4 stills in 1966-7, with coal-firing. It may also be known as Glenronach. The kiln ventilator is now very unusual being wider than it is tall.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.