Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

12-24 (EVEN NOS) GOLF PLACELB46277

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
23/06/1999
Supplementary Information Updated
12/08/2020
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
St Andrews
NGR
NO 50495 16996
Coordinates
350495, 716996

Description

Gillespie and Scott, around 1893 (south section on Golf Place) and 1897. Former Golf Hotel. Converted to flats from 1974 onwards. 3 storey and attic, 4-bay, crowstepped building on prominent corner site. Dressed, squared and snecked rubble with dressed ashlar margins. Base, partial 2nd floor cill course and eaves course. Segmental-headed and round-headed openings at ground floor, corbelled oriels, keystones, voussoirs, stone mullions and chamfered arrises.

E (GOLF PLACE) ELEVATION: tall gabled bay to outer left with 2 broad segmental-headed openings (one formerly a pend) to ground, that to left with boarded timber door and multi-pane fanlight that to right altered to timber-transomed and -mullioned 6-light window; corbelled angled bipartite window to 1st floor with adjacent window to right, similarly angled bipartite above with small adjacent window to right. 2 centre bays each with bipartite window to ground and single windows to each floor above, those to 2nd floor breaking eaves into dormerheaded crowstepped gablets. Penultimate gabled bay to right with round-headed doorway to ground, and corbelled canted tripartite window to each floor above. Outer right bay largely blank with bipartite windows close to outer angle at 1st and 2nd floors, and stone balustraded parapet above abutting corbelled stack piercing crowstepped gable.

N (THE LINKS) ELEVATION: 3 (grouped 2-1) large round-headed keystoned windows to ground floor, single window to centre bay at 1st floor with tripartite window to right and bipartite close to outer angle at left, 2nd floor with segmentally- pedimented window breaking eaves to centre, adjacent glazed oculus to left and bipartite window to outer left angle below balustraded parapet, tripartite window to right with further window over in finialled gablehead with tall stack to left.

Small-pane glazing pattern over plate glass lower sashes with external secondary glazing to E, and plate glass to N, in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks. Ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: mosaic-tiled vestibule with part-glazed screen door; dog-leg staircase with timber balusters and finialled newels.

Statement of Special Interest

The land between The Links and Pilmour Links was feued from 1820. The first house to be built was at this site. By 1841, it was the home of Allan Robertson (1815-1859) legendary golfer and club and ball manufacturers. Early photographs indicated that Robertson rebuilt it in the 1850s. It was then 'Golf House' as in his tradecard. His widow it to the unrelated David Robertson who opened it as an inn in 1863. He in turn sold it to George Honeyman in 1864. Honeyman was probably the builder of the west wing on The Links, now part of Forgan House (see separate listing). It then became Honeyman's Golf Hotel.

In 1887 it was sold to David Mason who renamed it The David Mason's Golf Hotel. Around 1893, Mason began rebuilding it as a purpose-built hotel. The gable fronted wing in Golf Place was built first; the remainder in 1897. Some masonry from Allan Robertson's villa was incorporated – the inscription 'Allan Villa' can be seen on the Golf Place elevation.

Part of a B Group comprising Forgan House in The Links and Pilmour Links, the Rusack's Hotel in Pilmour Links, 2-4 Golf Place with 1 Pilmour Links, 12-24 Golf Place (Even Nos), 3, 6, 7, 16-18A and 19 Pilmour Links and 7-8, 12, 13, 15-16, 18 The Links.

Listed building record revised in 2020.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/site/199496. CANMORE ID 199496.

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1893, published 1895) Large scale town plan, St Andrews and St Leonards. 25 inches to the mile. 2nd Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

McStravick, R. (2015). St Andrews in the Footsteps of Tom Morris, p. 60.

Other Information

Additional information courtesy of Prof. David M Walker and Mrs Sheila M Walker (2019).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 12-24 (EVEN NOS) GOLF PLACE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 04:13