Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

2-4 (EVEN NOS) GOLF PLACE, AUCHTERLONIE'S, AND 1 PILMOUR LINKS, KINLOCH COTTAGELB46276

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
23/06/1999
Supplementary Information Updated
13/08/2020
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
St Andrews
NGR
NO 50481 16958
Coordinates
350481, 716958

Description

Earlier and later 19th century, altered early 20th century, 1935 and later. 2-storey shop with domestic accommodation over on prominent corner site. Squared rubble with raised quoins, and large dressed ashlar blocks. Base course and ground floor cornice. Canted oriel window with timber mullions to Pilmour Links. E (GOLF PLACE) ELEVATION: 2 houses now converted to 1 shop. Ground floor with timber-framed shop windows with full-width top- lights, in-canted door to centre of right block; 2 traditionally lettered timber fascias. 2 bays to left of centre at 1st floor, each with pedimented dormer windows breaking eaves, that to left with dominant shouldered stack adjoining to right; 3 windows in bays to right of centre. S (PILMOUR LINKS) ELEVATION: centre bay with steps up to deep-set, 6-panelled timber door with plate glass fanlight, and 1st floor window breaking eaves into piended dormer roof; bay to right of centre with in-canted shop door and flanking display windows with multi-pane top-lights below fascia, and flanking incised arrowhead detail to margins, canted outer right angle corbelled to square at 1st floor; slightly recessed bay to left with further shop window and fascia below oriel window to left and small window to right at 1st floor. 4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with some cans and coped skews; cast-iron downpipes and decorative rainwater hoppers. INTERIOR: Kinloch Cottage with decorative cast-iron stair and timber fire surround.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B Group comprising Forgan House in The Links and Pilmour Links, the Rusack's Hotel in Pilmour Links, 2-4 Golf Place with 1 Pilmour Links, 12-24 Golf Place (Even Nos), 3, 6, 7, 16-18A, and 19 Pilmour Links and 7-8, 12, 13, 15-16, 18 The Links. Kinloch Cottage was (in 1905) the property of Sir Alexander Kinloch Bart, and was occupied at this time by Dr D Harris. St Andrews Golf Club purchased No 4 Kirk (sic) Place from Mrs Smith in April 1905 for the sum of ?800, for conversion to a clubhouse. In 1905 this building, which appears on an 1838 map of St Andrews, had a traditional centre door with flanking windows, the 1st floor as today; the adjoining property(Kinloch Cottage) had a pedimented door to left, 2 windows to centre and further pedimented door to right. The club expanded in 1922 with the purchase of Kinloch Cottage, and rented some of the rooms to the St Regulus Ladies' Club. The joint property was sold for ?1500 in August 1932, and presumably converted to shops at this time. Nos 2 and 4 was utilised as Auchterlonies clubmaker's and No. 4 as MacArthur's bakery premises, with Mr Eric Auchterlonie living in Kinloch Cottage. In the 1960s, Auchterlonies bought out MacArthur's. The present shop, still trading as 'Auchterlonie's', now occupies the whole ground floor and until recent years the proprietor lived in Kinloch Cottage.

The club making business of D & W Auchterlonie was founded in 1894 by William Auchterlonie (1872-1963) who learned his skills from Robert Forgan. His brother David was in charge of the business side. The business remained in direct family ownership until the death of Laurie Auchterlonie in 1988.

Listed building record updated in 2020.

References

Bibliography

Canmore - http://canmore.org.uk/site/225070. CANMORE ID 225070.

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1854, published 1855) Large scale town plan, St Andrews and St Leonards. 6 inches to the mile. 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Archives

Valuation Rolls, (1904-5).

Printed Sources

Clark, E. (1992) The 150 Years - A History of St Andrews Golf Club 1843-1993.

Gifford, J. (1992) The Buildings of Scotland: Fife. London: Penguin Books Ltd., p. 396.

McStravick, R. (2015) St Andrews - In the Footsteps of Old Tom Morris, pp. 21-24.

Online Sources

Patrick Playfair (1765-1836) 'Profile and Legacies Summary' in The Legacies of British slave-ownership website, University College London. https://www.ucl.ac.uk/lbs/person/view/2146646093 [accessed 13/08/2020]

Other Information

Additional information courtesy of Prof. David M Walker and Mrs Sheila M Walker (2019).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 2-4 (EVEN NOS) GOLF PLACE, AUCHTERLONIE'S, AND 1 PILMOUR LINKS, KINLOCH COTTAGE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 04:10