Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

15 AND 16 THE LINKS, WALDON HOUSE, WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGSLB46275

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
23/06/1999
Supplementary Information Updated
12/08/2020
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
St Andrews
NGR
NO 50415 17002
Coordinates
350415, 717002

Description

1875. Pair of terraced 3-storey with attic and basement, 2-bay houses closing terrace to east. Ashlar. Base course, moulded 1st floor cill course, eaves cornice and blocking course. Pilastered and gabletted doorcases with moulded segmental-headed opening at No. 15 and gothic arch at No. 16; voussoirs; stop-chamfered arrises and stone mullions.

N (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: No 15: bay to right at ground floor with fly-over steps and flanking cast iron railings leading to doorcase with carved detail below abaci of pilasters and bolection-moulded dentilled coping to gablet, deep-set 9-panelled timber door and segmental plate glass fanlight, adjacent narrow light to right; single window to 1st floor and smaller window to 2nd floor. Semi-lozenged planbay to left at ground with central tripartite window with narrow outer lights and further narrow bowed lights on returns, similar window above with cornice, blocking course and decorative ironwork at 2nd floor tripartite window; timber-pedimented 3-light dormer window above. No 16: as above but with less decorative gothic doorcase and later full-width, 8-light, flat-roofed dormer window.

Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows, except to dormer of No 16. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with cans.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS: low coped boundary walls with inset decorative cast iron railings.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B Group comprising Forgan House in The Links and Pilmour Links, the Rusack's Hotel in Pilmour Links, 2-4 Golf Place with 1 Pilmour Links, 12-24 Golf Place (Even Nos), 3, 6, 7, 16-18A, and 19 Pilmour Links and 7-8, 12, 13, 15-16, 18 The Links.

Together with the now altered No. 14, Nos 15 and 16 were the first of grander houses on The Links. No 15 was built for a Mr Harris and leased to Major-General Moncrieff, a member of the Royal and Ancient and the key co-founder of the North Devon and West of England Golf Club's course at Westward Ho, Bideford, Devon. It was one of the earliest in England and is now the Royal North Devon Golf Club.

No. 16 was built for the Hon Charles Carnegie, then captain of the Royal and Ancient and was then called St Gatien. It was sold to Henry Bruce Simson in 1884, and then to the Australian-born physician Dr David Hamilton Kyle in 1904. His six children were all distinguished golfers. The building was purchased by the Royal and Ancient in 1980 and renamed Waldon House.

Listed building record revised in 2020.

References

Bibliography

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1893, published 1895) Large scale town plan, St Andrews and St Leonards. 25 inches to the mile. 2nd Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

Soulsby, Eve M.. The Golfing Kyles of St Andrews.

Other Information

Additional information courtesy of Prof David M Walker and Mrs Sheila M Walker (2019).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 15 AND 16 THE LINKS, WALDON HOUSE, WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 04:07