Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

6 PILMOUR LINKS WITH BOUNDARY WALLS, GATE AND RAILINGSLB46271

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
23/06/1999
Supplementary Information Updated
12/08/2020
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
St Andrews
NGR
NO 50450 16957
Coordinates
350450, 716957

Description

Rebuilt 1884-85, originally single storey and attic, raised to two full storeys with flat roof (possibly in 1925); attic floor added in 1999-2001; rear wing demolished 2000-2002. 2-storey and attic, 3-bay house in irregular terrace. Stugged, squared rubble with ashlar margins; rear elevation plain render. Base and band courses. Blocking course and parapet pierced as pseudo balustrade.

S ELEVATION: symmetrical. Panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight to centre bay, bipartite windows in flanking bays have chamfered arrises and block pediments with incised ornament; plain bipartite windows to outer bays at 1st floor; two piended dormers within the parapet.

Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates.Coped ashlar stacks and ashlar-coped skews; cast-iron downpipes and decorative rainwater hoppers.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATE AND RAILINGS: low, saddleback-coped, squared rubble boundary walls with inset railings and iron gate.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B Group comprising Forgan House in The Links and Pilmour Links, the Rusack's Hotel in Pilmour Links, 2-4 Golf Place with 1 Pilmour Links, 12-24 Golf Place (Even Nos), 3, 6, 7, 16-18A, and 19 Pilmour Links and 7-8, 12, 13, 15-16, 18 The Links.

The site was feued in 1823. By 1839 it was owned by the clubmaker Hugh Philp who built a workshop a the north end of the feu, fronting The Links. In 1861, 6 Pilmour Links, together with the workshops, was bought by Richard Bartholomew Child on Henley-on-Thames for his son-in-law the clubmaker George Daniel Brown. Tom Morris (1821-1908) championship golfer, club and ballmaker bought it in 1866.

Tom Morris's son, Young Tom (b. 1851), also a championship golfer, died at 6 Pilmour Links on Christmas Day 1876. Old Tom, a widower from 1876, rebuilt the workshop at the north end of the feu to provide a house over the workshops for himself and his two surviving sons. James Ogilvie Fairlie (b. 1856) and John (b. 1859) in 1882-3. (See listed building entry for Tom Morris House, 7, 8 The Links [LB46273].) No 6 Pilmour Links was then taken over by his son-in-law James Hunter (1848-1896), a timber merchant from Prestwick with a business first at Darien, Georgia, and then Mobile, Alabama. At some point thereafter, probably 1908-09, the feu was divided with the garden at 6 Pilmour Links and mutual with No. 5 is a large wall, eleven feet in diameter now covered over.

The house was ultimately inherited by Hunter's daughter Jamesina whose husband the engineer, Thomas George Morrow, reconstructed it around 1925.

Listed building record revised in 2020.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/site/225079. CANMORE ID 225079.

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1893, published 1895) Large scale town plan, St Andrews and St Leonards. 25 inches to the mile. 2nd Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Archives

Valutation Rolls, (1904-5).

Printed Sources

Gifford, J. (1992). The Buildings of Scotland: Fife, p 396.

Malcolm, D and Crabtree, P E. (2012) Tom Morris of St Andrews – The Colossus of Golf 1821-1908.

Other Information

Additional information courtesy of Prof. David M Walker and Mrs Sheila M Walker (2019).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 6 PILMOUR LINKS WITH BOUNDARY WALLS, GATE AND RAILINGS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 03:54