Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Supplementary Information Updated
Local Authority
Planning Authority
St Andrews
NO 50472 16953
350472, 716953


Charles Anderson of St Andrews, dated 1901. 2-storey, 4-bay shop and office premises with dwelling above. Squared and snecked, dressed rubble with ashlar margins. Bracketed ground floor cornice and eaves course. Corbel; crowstepped gable; stone mullions. S ELEVATION: shop to left of centre with in-canted, part-glazed centre door and flanking polygonal cast-iron columns and timber door with plate glass fanlight immediately to right, all below frieze; 2 windows in bay to right of centre and further boarded timber door (pend entrance) with plate glass fanlight to outer right. 1st floor with bipartite window to outer left, bay to left of centre with window to right and dated panel in crowstepped gable above, corbelled canted tripartite window in bay to right and further small window to outer right. 4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks. Coped skews and moulded skewputts. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hopper.

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B Group comprising Forgan House in The Links and Pilmour Links, the Rusack's Hotel in Pilmour Links, 2-4 Golf Place with 1 Pilmour Links, 12-24 Golf Place (Even Nos), 3, 6, 7, 16-18A, and 19 Pilmour Links and 7-8, 12, 13, 15-16, 18 The Links.

Together with No 5 Pilmour Links (Forgan House) formerly a golf club factory, this building was owned by Thomas B Forgan, clubmaker. The first tenant of the shop was the golfclub-making partnership of D & W Auchterlonie who had acquired their skills as a clubmakers from Robert Forgan.



Canmore CANMORE ID 225034.


Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1893, published 1895) Large scale town plan, St Andrews and St Leonards. 25inches to the mile. 2nd Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.


Dean of Guild Court Register, St Andrews University Library (Ref. 345).

Valuation Rolls, (1904-5).

Printed Sources

Frew, J. (1991). 'Shopfronts in St Andrews 1830-1930' in Three Decades of Historical Notes. St Andrews Preservation Trust.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 3 PILMOUR LINKS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 03:48