Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

THE SCORES, HAMILTON HALLLB46109

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
16/04/1999
Supplementary Information Updated
22/01/2021
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
St Andrews
NGR
NO 50540 17031
Coordinates
350540, 717031

Description

James M Monro, 1895. 4-storey with basement and attic, monumental Francois I university residence and former hotel on prominent corner site with 2 distinctive corner towers and domes, and mansard roof. Bute red sandstone. Ground floor cill course and band courses. Some segmental-headed openings; balustraded stone parapet and round-arched framing to windows of 3rd floor, pedimented dormer windows and shaped dormer gableheads. Stone transoms and mullions.

NW ANGLE TOWER: 6-stage tower with slightly projecting Doric-columned and corniced window and raised basement window to 1st stage with small round-headed windows on flanking canted returns; 4-light transomed bipartite window to 2nd stage, and bipartite windows to each stage above, all with similar windows to flanking canted returns. 3rd stage window with moulded apron, and 5th stage windows in round-arched framing. Cornice and deep blocking course above giving way to tall polygonal fibreglass (see Notes) dome.

N (THE SCORES) ELEVATION: 4-bay elevation with raised basement; 6-light transomed windows in canted bays to outer left and to right of centre, that to left with door to centre light; 6- light segmental-headed windows in bays to outer right and to left of centre. 1st and 2nd floors with canted bays as below and bipartite windows to remaining bays; further bipartite windows to 3rd floor. Attic with paired small round-headed windows to both left and outer right bays, those to left giving way to broad curvilinear, finialled and pedimented gable with 3 wreaths carved in gablehead, that to right with small shaped and pedimented gable; small bipartite pedimented dormer window in bay to right of centre.

W (GOLF PLACE) ELEVATION: 7-bay elevation with domed tower-like bay to outer right; canted bays to ground, 1st and 2nd floors of bays 2, 4 and 6; and projecting Doric-columned porch with cornice and deep blocking course to 1st and 2nd bays at ground. Regular fenestration with transomed and mullioned windows and alternate segmental-headed windows to ground, transomed and mullioned windows to 1st floor, and bipartite windows above. Attic with small paired round-headed windows and shaped gableheads to bays 1 and 6 flanking 4 small pedimented dormer windows and 3 large ridge stacks.

S ELEVATION: adjoining lower irregular terrace, largely blank elevation above with tall, round-headed, ceramic-tiled niche to centre.

COURTYARD ELEVATION: 2 bipartite stair windows and irregular fenestration to small totally enclosed courtyard.

Plate glass glazing in casement and timber sash and case windows. Leaded and coloured patterned glass to stair windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks and ashlar-coped skews with decorative skewputts.

INTERIOR: good decorative plasterwork cornices and ceilings; architraved doorways and some dado rails. Hall with Corinthian-capitalled columns, dog-leg timber staircase with carved newel posts and decoratively-glazed stair windows. Dining Hall with plasterwork panels, panelled timber soffits and shutters, brass handles and opening mechanism,

and deep hoodmoulds over 2 small round-headed windows to N angle. Regents' Room (1st floor) with carved timber fire surround.

Statement of Special Interest

When built the Grand Hotel was the largest in Fife. After de-requisitioning in 1946, the building was completely modernised and boasted a dining room for 150 people, two first floor lounges, ballroom and cocktail lounge. The manager at this time was Mr H Donington Smith. Purchased by the University, for £61,000, in 1949, Hamilton Hall is named for Archbishop Hamilton and members of the House of Hamilton. A serious fire started by a painter's blowtorch in September 1976, destroyed the N dome (formerly copper) and did much interior damage, but the building has been returned to its former fine state.

References

Bibliography

Information courtesy of Hamilton Hall Staff and 'Grand Hotel' leaflets.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to THE SCORES, HAMILTON HALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 02:32