Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

16, 17, 18 AND 18A PILMOUR LINKS INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLSLB45917

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
26/02/1999
Supplementary Information Updated
13/08/2020
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
St Andrews
NGR
NO 50368 16973
Coordinates
350368, 716973

Description

Around 1823; later alterations. Short terrace of 3 symmetrical, 2-storey, 3-bay houses within sunk railed area. Droved, coursed and squared rubble; lined cement render to 1st floor of No 18. Deep base course, quoin strips, stone margins and mullions to No 16 where the outer windows have been enlarged to bipartite openings, probably in aterations dating to 1937-38.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: No 16 with panelled timber door and small-pane fanlight to centre at ground and single window above, bipartite windows in flanking bays to each floor. No 17 with panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight to centre bay at ground, windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration to 1st floor. Nos 18 and 18A apparently raised from single storey cottage to 2-storey, (accessed from rear) with top-opening window (converted door) to centre and further windows in flanking bays, regular fenestration to 1st floor.

4-pane and plate glass glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows unless stated. Grey slates to No 16; pantiles to Nos 17, 18 and 18A. Coped squared rubble stacks. Coped skews.

BOUNDARY WALLS: low saddleback-coped boundary walls with inset railings. The gardens to the north were curtailed to build the winter garden of Rusack's Hotel (see separate listing).

Statement of Special Interest

Part of a B Group comprising the Forgan House in The Links and Pilmour Links, the Rusack's Hotel in Pilmour Links, 2-4 Golf Place with 1 Pilmour Links, 12-24 Golf Place with 1 Pilmour Links, 12-24 Golf Place (Even Nos), 3, 6, 7, 16-18A, and 19 Pilmour Links and 7-8, 12, 13, 15-16, 18 The Links.

A strategically important range of traditionally detailed houses which although the outer properties have been altered, retain a sweep of unbroken roofline and indicate the burgh's residential form before the later 19th century aggrandisement.

Listed building record revised in 2020.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/site/224993. CANMORE ID 224993.

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1854, published 1855) Large scale town plan, St Andrews and St Leonards. 6 inches to the mile. 1st Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Archives

1937-38 plans found in the Records of Messrs James Gillespie and Scott, Architects, St Andrews, University of St Andrews Special Collections (ref: ms37778b).

Printed Sources

Gifford, J. (1992) The Buildings of Scotland: Fife. London: Penguin Books Ltd., p. 396.

Other Information

Additional information courtesy of Prof. David M Walker and Mrs Sheila M Walker (2019).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 16, 17, 18 AND 18A PILMOUR LINKS INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 04:26