Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

PILMOUR LINKS, RUSACK'S HOTEL WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND PIERSLB45916

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
26/02/1999
Supplementary Information Updated
12/08/2020
Local Authority
Fife
Planning Authority
Fife
Burgh
St Andrews
NGR
NO 50386 16992
Coordinates
350386, 716992

Description

David Henry, 1887 (central section and north block on The Links); 1891-92 (front block on Pilmour Links); John Milne, 1901 (part on Pilmour Links elevation; 1911 (further additions by David Henry). Large hotel building in Free Northern European Renaissance style, on double feu stretching from Pilmour Links to The Links. Tall 4-storey, attic and basement. Ashlar facades with stugged and squared rubble flanks. Deep channelled base course (over basement), moulded dividing courses and eaves cornice with blocking course and ball-finialled dies. Segmental-headed, keystoned openings to porch; architraved openings to principal elevation; bracketed cills to 1st and 3rd floors, scalloped aprons to 2nd floor windows; stone transoms and mullions.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 7 bays (3 centre bays slightly recessed). Tall ground floor with dominant porch to centre bay with deep plinths supporting paired, Corinthian-capitalled pilasters flanking 2-leaf timber door below segmental fanlight and 3-light arcaded window; frieze with applied letters 'RUSACKS HOTEL' and cavetto cornice giving way to small stone balustrade: tall window to each return with all other detail as above. 2-light transomed windows abutting porch in flanking bays, and broad 6-light transomed and mullioned windows to outer bays. Regular fenestration, diminishing in height, to each floor above. 3-bay attic floor with broad, pilastered tripartite across centre bays with deep pilastered frieze, carved cartouche dated '1892' and initialled 'WR', and blind pediment above: pedimented, bipartite stone dormer windows to outer bays, all linked by deep, corniced blocking course.

N ( THE LINKS) ELEVATION: 3-storey with attic and basement, 5-bay elevation. 3 centre ground floor bays with later conservatory canted out over projecting basement, 3 windows to each floor above; full-height canted outer bays with tripartite window to each floor (diminishing in size). Attic floor with 3 pedimented windows breaking eaves to centre, tripartite windows and ironwork balustrades to outer bays below dominant shaped gables each with pedimented bipartite window below further segmental pediment.

W ELEVATION: largely symmetrical elevation of 5 distinct blocks; elements include broad flat-roofed sun-room with arcaded glazing to ground centre and left with part-blocked stair window to left of recessed face over; outer right block (fronting Pilmour Links) with canted window and decorative ironwork to 1st, 2nd and 3rd floors of left angle, delicate brattishing above.

All porch glazing and stair window decoratively-astragalled with coloured glass; plate glass glazing in casement and timber sash and case windows elsewhere, some with small-paned upper sashes. Grey slates. Coped ashlar and squared rubble stacks, some with cans. Coped skews. Cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers.

INTERIOR: some decorative plasterwork cornicing and panelled soffits. Ground floor with 'marbled' columns, stylised 'Ionic' pilasters, carved timber fire surround with marble slips and engaged columns with heavily decorated consoles. Scale and platt staircase with decorative cast-iron balusters and timber handrail. Largely modernised elsewhere but some cast iron fireplaces retained in bedrooms.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND PIERS: rubble boundary walls to E with Corinthian-capitalled columnar ashlar piers.

Statement of Special Interest

'Rusack's Marine Hotel' was built by Johann Wilhelm Rusack (1848-1916) from Bad Harzburg in Lower Saxony. Rusack opened a succession of hotels in St Andrews. The Marine Hotel opened in 1887.The sun room on the west elevation appears to have been reconstructed from components of the large winter garden which extended from the west elevation until around 1920. The building was used as a barracks during the Second World War, and when the interior was refurbished in 1986, plaster with drawings of aeroplanes was removed to nearby RAF Leuchars.

Part of a B Group comprising Forgan House in The Links and Pilmour Links, the Rusack's Hotel in Pilmour Links, 2-4 Golf Place with 1 Pilmour Links, 12-24 Golf Place with 1 Pilmour Links, 12-24 Golf Place (Even Nos), 3, 6, 7, 16-18A, and 19 Pilmour Links and 7-8, 12, 13, 15-16, 18 The Links.

Listed building record revised in 2020.

References

Bibliography

Canmore: http://canmore.org.uk/site/93057. CANMORE ID 93057.

Maps

Ordnance Survey (surveyed 1893, published 1895) Large scale town plan, St Andrews and St Leonards. 25 inches to the mile. 2nd Edition. Southampton: Ordnance Survey.

Printed Sources

Frew, J (ed.) (1984) Building for a New Age – The Architecture of Victorian and Edwardian St Andrews, pp. 31, 40.

Gifford, J. (1992) The Buildings of Scotland: Fife. London: Penguin Books Ltd., p. 396.

McStravick, R. (2015) St Andrews – In the Footsteps of Old Tom Morris, pp. 85-87.

Other Information

Additional information courtesy of Prof. David M Walker and Mrs Sheila M Walker (2019).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to PILMOUR LINKS, RUSACK'S HOTEL WITH BOUNDARY WALLS AND PIERS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 08/12/2021 04:25