There are no additional online documents for this record.
- Category: B
- Date Added: 16/09/1998
- Local Authority: Edinburgh
- Planning Authority: Edinburgh
- Burgh: Edinburgh
National Grid Reference
- NGR: NT 23172 77071
- Coordinates: 323172, 677071
1899. 2-storey; original symmetrical 3 bays, now extended by 1 bay to W and 3 bays to E. Red brick with red sandstone dressings; grey slate roof. Ground floor advanced with balustraded parapet to form balcony to 1st floor; architraved bipartite windows; long and short quoins. S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: pedimented and pilastered doorway; pediment incorporates chain-driven wheel surmounted by winged sphinx (symbol of Madelvic Motor Carriage Co); panelled door; single window to 1st floor above. Bipartite windows in flanking bays; 1st floor window to right missing stone mullion; pediments to 1st floor windows. 2-storey, single bay, flat-roofed extension to right in similar style. Higher 2-bay extension to outer right; bipartite windows; stone mullion missing 1st floor to left. Single bay addition with chamfered angle, recessed to outer left; single window; later bridge link at 1st floor excluded from listing. E ELEVATION: later gabled porch to right of centre; 2 bays to left, single bay to right, all with single windows. N (REAR) ELEVATION: irregular fenestration.
1899. Located immediately to W of office. 2 ranges of 2 storeys linked by central single storey range to form rectangular plan. Engineering brick with red sandstone dressings. Segmental headed windows. 16-pane glazing with top hoppers. Flat roofs to 2-storey ranges; pitched roof with glazing panels to single storey range. S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 12-bay; later 1st floor bridge over roadway, obscuring 1st floor over 9 bays to right. Central round-arched doorway with "WORKS ENTRANCE" set in tympanum; broad doorways flanking, all entering single storey range. Central doorway with flanking pairs of windows to 2 storey range to right. Doorway with 2 windows to left to 2-storey range to left; 2 windows and doorway at 1st floor above. E ELEVATION: 27 bay original building, obscured in parts by later additions; later bridge link to office excluded from listing. W ELEVATION: obscured by later 2-storey brick addition; addition excluded from listing. N ELEVATION: obscured by later 2-storey brick addition with banded glazing; addition excluded from listing. INTERIOR: steel beams and columns (stamped Lanarkshire Steel Co Ltd); timber upper floors to 2-storey ranges; staircases positioned symmetrically to either side of single storey range.
1899. Single storey; 12-bay by 4-bay. Detailed as production block. Additions and link to office not included in listing.
Statement of Special Interest
All machinery and all parts of the complex not specifically described above are excluded from the listing. The buildings designed for the Madelvic Motor Carriage Co Ltd are probably the earliest purpose-built motor works in Britain (Collins and Stratton). The company assembled battery-electric carriages propelled by a fifth central wheel on the road (as depicted above the entrance to the office). Madelvic went bankrupt in 1900, and the premises were first sold to the Kingsburgh Motor Construction Co, and then in 1902 to Stirling Motor Carriages Ltd, which produced mainly buses and lorries here until 1912. The production block was described in 1903 as housing a machine shop, an erecting department for the engines, and all the sections for integrated coachbuilding. The buildings appear in original form on 1906 OS map, and with some extensions on 1938 OS map.
ORDNANCE SURVEY MAP 1/2500, revised 1906 1912, and 1938, Edinburgh Sheet 1.14; G T Bloomfield, "New Integrated Motor Works in Scotland 1899-1914" in INDUSTRIAL ARCHAEOLOGY REVIEW, VOL V, NO 2, (Spring 1981), pp130-133. Paul Collins and Michael Stratton, BRITISH CAR FACTORIES FROM 1896, (1993), pp251-253. Alastair Dodds, MAKING CARS, (1996), pp15-16, p44.
Listing is the way that a building or structure of special architectural or historic interest is recognised by law through the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.
We list buildings of special architectural or historic interest using the criteria published in the Historic Environment Scotland Policy Statement.
The statutory listing address is the legal part of the listing. The information in the listed building record gives an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building(s). It is not a definitive historical account or a complete description of the building(s). The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.
Listing covers both the exterior and the interior. Listing can cover structures not mentioned which are part of the curtilage of the building, such as boundary walls, gates, gatepiers, ancillary buildings etc. The planning authority is responsible for advising on what is covered by the listing including the curtilage of a listed building. For information about curtilage see www.historicenvironment.scot. Since 1 October 2015 we have been able to exclude items from a listing. If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the Historic Environment Scotland Act 2014. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect current legislation.
If you want to alter, extend or demolish a listed building you need to contact your planning authority to see if you need listed building consent. The planning authority is the main point of contact for all applications for listed building consent.
Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot. You can contact us on 0131 668 8716 or at firstname.lastname@example.org.
There are no images available for this record.