Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site


Status: Designated


There are no additional online documents for this record.


Date Added
Local Authority
Planning Authority
NT 23932 73866
323932, 673866


Late 19th century. Single storey and attic, roughly 5-bay mews house, with tall gabletted dormers to mansard roof; part of a short row of similar mews buildings. Set on ground falling steeply to Water of Leith at rear (NE). Squared snecked red sandstone bull faced rubble; red sandstone ashlar dressings. Asymmetrical arrangement of ground floor openings; offcentre doorways with small glazed fanlights; large boarded and glazed coach-house door; some glazed openings with long and short rybats. Part glazed and boarded former hayloft door to left (N) at 1st floor. Retention of some original stabling features to interior.

N (REAR) ELEVATION: roughly 5-bays. Coursed random rubble with some ashlar dressings; some later enlarged openings. Irregular fenestration.

Predominantly plate glass in timber sash and case windows, some 8- and 4-pane in timber sash and case windows. Mansard roof with deep ashlar skews and decorative clay ridge; grey slates. Corniced gable and ridge stacks; modern clay cans. Cast-iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: converted to residential dwelling (2008). Some original stall partitions and troughs reused in later interior scheme; some cast iron fireplaces with decorative mantels and original oat chute also retained.

Statement of Special Interest

A picturesque mews house retained in its original form as part of a small group and with characteristic features such as steep mansard roof and coach-house door relatively unaltered by later additions. The building was designed as stables as well as providing storage for carriages and tack. The 1893 -94 OS map also indicates that there was a smithy on the site which may have provided shoes and tack for the horses, although no evidence of this could be seen (2008). The large cart-shed openings along the W elevation were to allow access for larger carriages, and a number of other features such as the hayloft door are retained. The interior contains a number of original features such as stall partitions troughs and saddle racks sensitively re-used as part of the modern residential dwelling.

The building faces further mews to Sunbury Street (see separate listing) across a partly enclosed cobbled courtyard further enhancing the character of the streetscape. This area of the Dean Village was characterised by small scale industry and secondary services, and mews buildings provided both working and dwelling accommodation for a variety of artisans.

Number 14 was occupied as a studio by the sculptor Mary Boyd between 1934 and 1997. She exhibited regularly at the Royal Scottish Academy and the Scottish Gallery of Modern Art as well as completing work for St Mary's Episcopal Church in Corstorphine.

(List description revised 2009 as part of re-survey.)



Ordnance Survey, Large Scale Town Plan, (1893 -94); J Gifford, C McWilliam, D M Walker, The Buildings of Scotland: Edinburgh (1988) p. 397.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at


There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 14 BELFORD MEWS

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 30/03/2023 02:27