Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

MONCREIFFE ESTATE, THE STABLESLB4536

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Group Category Details
100000020
Date Added
09/06/1981
Supplementary Information Updated
12/03/2010
Local Authority
Perth And Kinross
Planning Authority
Perth And Kinross
Parish
Dunbarney
NGR
NO 13568 19424
Coordinates
313568, 719424

Description

William Stirling, soon after 1821, reworking of 18th century building; altered 20th century. Fine survival of well-detailed 2-storey, 9-bay, piend-roofed Classically-detailed stables range with flatted dwellings above. Arched pend entrance, keystoned round-arched window, ball-finialled open pediment, fine ogee-roofed clock incorporating dovecote, and stone forestair. Snecked whinstone rubble with contrasting red sandstone ashlar dressings, some stugged, and raised margins. Segmental-headed cart arches, voussoirs, 1st floor windows to principal elevation breaking eaves into stone-pedimented dormerheads.

FURTHER DESCRIPTION: symmetrical principal elevation to S with slightly advanced pend in pedimented centre bay, ogee-roofed clock to ridge above, regular fenestration in flanking bays and slightly advanced piended outer bays each with boarded timber doors to cart arch below dormerheaded window. Simple, possibly earlier, detail to rear elevation with stone forestair at centre, small openings close to eaves.

INTERIOR: stables with decorative ceramic wall tiles and herringbone floor tiles to cast iron and timber loose boxes.

Small pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped red sandstone stacks and brick stacks. Clock tower with lead roof.

Statement of Special Interest

B Group with Moncreiffe House, Walled Garden and Ha-Ha, Dairy, Dovecote, Filter Bed and Water Tank, Gamekeeper's Cottage, Garden Cottage, West Lodge and Gate, and East Gate.

The fine Stable Block at Moncreiffe is an important early survival. It is sited a short distance from the main house, and was an integral element of the estate buildings. The Classical detailing reflects the Classical nature of the earlier Moncreiffe House (see below) and the fashion of the time for rational and symmetrical design for stable blocks. The ogee-roofed clock and dovecote may be the top stage of the cupola removed from the old house during 19th century re-roofing. The 1st floor principal elevation windows of the stable block were raised through the eaves into dormerheads in the 20th century.

The high quality design of Moncreiffe Stables reflects both the wealth and status of the owner as well as the important role of the horse in the 19th century. Unlike some examples where ranges away from the house were less well-detailed, this stable block is built to a very high standard, with the entrance range following the fashion derived from the 18th century Whim House 'with the vocabulary of a central entrance identified by a pediment, dome, lantern or tower, then wings to either side ' containing loose boxes. At either end, sometimes pedimented, pavilions contained coach-houses, tack rooms and accommodation above' (Buxbaum pp100-101). These elements were combined by William Stirling at Cambuswallace in 1809 and at Alva House at about the same time as Moncreiffe.

The architect William Stirling (II) practiced from Dunblane with his cousin, also William Stirling (I). Just prior to working at Moncreiffe Stables, William Stirling II had enlarged the stables at Dupplin Castle, Forteviot. Whilst working at the Moncreiffe Estate, he was also enlarging Moncreiffe Inn at Bridge of Earn. His portfolio included Blairgowrie Parish Church in 1824 and Dron Parish Church, 1825.

Moncreiffe House dates from 1962, it replaces a house destroyed by fire in 1957.

List description revised and category changed from C(S) to B 2010.

References

Bibliography

1st and 2nd edition Ordnance Survey Maps (1859-64, 1898-1900). Tim Buxbaum Scottish Garden Buildings From Food to Folly (1989), pp44, 100-103. John Gifford The Buildings of Scotland Perth and Kinross (2008) pp535-36. Thomas Hunter Woods, Forests and Estates in Perthshire (1883), pp128-38. New Statistical Account Vol X (1842), p804. JW & RE Seath Dunbarney A Parish with a Past (1991). John Martin Robinson The Latest Country Houses (1984). N Haynes Perth and Kinross An Illustrated Architectural Guide (2000), p48. Information courtesy of Estate personnel. www.moncreiffe.org [accessed 31.07.09]. www.scottisharchitects.org.uk [accessed 31.07.09].

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to MONCREIFFE ESTATE, THE STABLES

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 07/12/2019 02:31