Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

25A, 25B AND 25C BENTINCK DRIVE, BRANDON HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALLLB45246

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
C
Date Added
30/03/1998
Local Authority
South Ayrshire
Planning Authority
South Ayrshire
Burgh
Troon
NGR
NS 32474 30722
Coordinates
232474, 630722

Description

Early 20th century; subdivided later 20th century. Asymmetrical 2 storey, 3-bay Free Style house. Squared and snecked bull-faced red sandstone; polished ashlar dressings. Chamfered band course at base; moulded eaves to gableheads; overhanging timber bracketed eaves. Polished quoins (rounded angles); long and short surrounds to chamfered openings; sandstone mullions and transoms; chamfered cills at ground; projecting cills at 1st floor. Baronial and classical detailing to single storey porch; later porch recessed to outer left.

SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: single storey porch centred at ground comprising oval window facing SW set in stylised surround with blocked columns, corbelled cill, corniced keystone, ball-finialed panel breaking round-arched, architraved pediment centred in balustraded parapet; corbelled angle turret to left; round-arched Gibbsian surround to replacement part-glazed door in return to left; blind armorial panel centred in surmounting parapet. Single opening centred at 1st floor beneath stylised, round-arched gablehead. Bipartite windows at both floors in bell-cast bay to left; later porch recessed to outer left. Advanced wing to outer right comprising 2 3 centred arched bipartite windows at ground; crenellated parapet surmounting corbelled 4-light window at 1st floor beneath stylised, round-arched gablehead.

Predominantly uPVC glazing. Grey slate pitched and piended roofs; some original rainwater goods. Coped red brick wallhead stacks to NW and SE; circular cans.

INTERIOR: not seen 1997.

BOUNDARY WALL: low coped squared and snecked bull-faced sandstone wall enclosing site (red brick to side); cast-iron pedestrian entry gate.

Statement of Special Interest

Despite internal subdivision and extensive replacement glazing, both the design and detailing of this house retain interest. Of particular note is the unusual combination of baronial and classical - angle turrets, corbelling, blocked surrounds and balustraded parapets. Note also, the stylised, round-arched gableheads, piended roof and arched bipartite windows.

References

Bibliography

Does not appear on Ordnance Survey map, 1896; appears on Ordnance Survey map, 1909.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 25A, 25B AND 25C BENTINCK DRIVE, BRANDON HOUSE INCLUDING BOUNDARY WALL

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 15/10/2019 09:25