Circa 1823-30. 14-bay mill, extended 6 bays to S and 4 bays to N in 1830's over tail-races. Upper floors rebuilt following fire in 1848. Complete in 1855. Willow Room added by Tay circa 1910-12. Fireproof cotton mill, probably for weaving, carding and throstle spinning rather than mule-spinning. 3-storey and attic 3-by 24-bay mill, rubble-built with ashlar dressings.
N ELEVATION: semi-circular stair tower projects at 11th bay from N, curved windows, with evidence of 4th floor window indicating that mill had 5 or 6 storeys until 1848. String course over 2nd floor. Cast-iron tie plates of 2 patterns. Iron gangway (see Bell Mill) to 1st floor
door at right. Bowed angle at left.
S ELEVATION: 2 arches over tail race from main wheelhouse at left, probably 1785-6. Similar tail race to right from East Mill, 1790s. Floodmark, dated 7 Oct 1847, 2nd floor string course. Cast-iron tie-plates. Modern brick-clad lift at 11th bay from left, (replaced smaller gabletted hoist). Latrine tower at right with curved angles. 1st floor gangway to East Mill, widened and heightened in reinforced concrete and brick circa 1920. Blowing/willow shed extended from ground floor circa 1910, clad partly in brick, part timber boarded.
Slate roof, gabled at W, piended at E, long skylights in N face. Windows sash and case. 16-pane glazing pattern to ground floor, altered at upper floors.
INTERIOR: Lower 3 floors fireproof, 3-aisle plan with 2 rows of cylindrical columns carrying brick arches on inverted T-section cast iron beams, 4 different phases of construction: centre ground and 1st floor have simple capitals and beams with 90mm flanges. Wrought-iron ties link column heads within brickwork. Part of 1st floor removed circa 1950. E and W wings have differing capitals and 120mm beam flanges. Partial dividing walls, 1 on a column with traceried spandrals. 2nd floor uniform 120mm beams with unusual cast-in capitals. Timber collar-beam roof with steel strengthening of circa 1950. Stone spiral stair.
MACHINERY: 8 carding machines, circa 1910-20, at 1st floor, a willow (bale-opener and cotton blower) by William Tatham Ltd, Rochdale, ring spinning frames and a vacuum card stripper and air-pump, by Cook and Co,
Manchester, circa 1910-12, in Willow Shed extension.
Probably the oldest cotton spinning machinery in Scotland.