Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing under the Planning (Listing Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997 is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see 'About Listed Buildings' below for more information. The further details below the 'Address/Name of Site' are provided for information purposes only.

Address/Name of Site

BRIDGEND STREET, ST ANDREW'S CHURCH HALL, INCLUDING PIERS (FORMERLY BRIDGEND CHURCH)LB44815

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
24/03/1997
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Rothesay
NGR
NS 08608 64671
Coordinates
208608, 664671

Description

A M McKinlay, 1908. Former United Free church converted for use as church hall later 20th century. Asymmetrical 2-storey, single bay former gabled church with advanced, full-height, single bay polygonal tower to outer right; single storey, 2-bay wing recessed to outer left (adjoining adjacent block). Coursed, natural-faced red sandstone; red ashlar dressings. Raised base course; ashlar cill and lintel courses at ground and 1st floors; coped polished blocking course surmounting advanced tower to outer right; coped eaves. Red ashlar quoins; long and short ashlar surrounds to openings; square-headed windows at ground; segmental-arched 5-light window centred beneath apex; flat ogee-arched windows at 1st floor off-set to right of centre; architraved stone mullions and transoms; chamfered reveals.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: canted tower to outer right comprising recessed 2-leaf timber panelled door; architraved Tudor-arched surround; quadripartite fanlight (architraved mullions); half-engaged octagonal shafts flanking to upper left and right; moulded stops; circular caps; corniced drip-course set between; bipartite window aligned at 1st floor. Projecting half-engaged octagonal belfry recessed to outer right; louvred trefoil-headed openings; bracketed eaves; finialed ogee roof. Recessed 2-storey panel centred beneath gabled bay to left of entrance; 2 single windows at ground; large segmental-arched window beneath apex at 1st floor comprising round-arched openings flanking single ogee-arched opening; mullioned fanlights above. Projecting foliate stop centred on corniced corbel above stop-chamfered corner at ground linking single storey wing to outer left; 2-leaf timber panelled door off-set to right of centre; roll-moulded surround, segmental-arched lintel; bipartite window in bay to outer left.

Predominantly opaque leaded glass (stylised floral decoration set in upper panels); boarded openings at ground in bay to outer left. Graded grey slate roof; raised stone skews; terracotta ridge-tiling; conical-capped ridge ventilator at centre; flat disc surmounting tapering finial.

INTERIOR: false ceiling inserted to form hall at ground; storage area above. Regularly-disposed cast-iron quatrefoil Corinthian columns at ground; pointed-arched arcade above ceiling; hammerbeam roof; gallery to E; large pointed-arched window to W (now halved). Stone stair to upper floor; decorative cast-iron balustrade; timber handrail.

PIERS: coursed red ashlar, circular-capped cylindrical piers flanking entrance; engaged single pier at ground to left of centre.

Statement of Special Interest

Ecclesiastical building, no longer in use as such. B Group with adjacent linked 2-storey half-harled block now part used as an auction room (see separate list entry for Nos 6, 8, 10 and 12 Bridgend Street). An unusual building with some interesting features - the decorative door surrounds, leaded glass, heavy corbel, louvred belfry strangely projecting to the N, impressive 5-light window and rare roof ventilator. Despite internal subdivision and loss of its original use, the building retains many original features - note the hammerbeam ceiling, pointed-arch arcade and cast-iron columns. Walker notes its "...stimulating turn-of-the-century infusion..." (p157). Designed with the adjacent block (originally housing a church officer?s flat, stores and a hall), the whole was completed in June 1909. With its large street window "...deeply recessed and moulded...the upper portion being of fine tracery", solid floor blocks to "...deaden the sound and also make the church more comfortable", and a ventilation system "...of the most approved and latest method", John Morrison, then Master of the Works, thought the buildings "...well arranged", reflecting "...great credit on the architect" (A B D A). McKinlay was also responsible for St Andrew?s Roman Catholic Church, Columshill Place in 1907.

Rothesay is one of Scotland's premier seaside resorts, developed primarily during the second half of the 19th and early 20th centuries, and incorporates an earlier medieval settlement. The town retains a wide range of buildings characteristic of its development as a high status 19th century holiday resort, including a range of fine villas, a Victorian pier and promenade.

The history and development of Rothesay is defined by two major phases. The development of the medieval town, centred on Rothesay Castle, and the later 19th and early 20th century development of the town as a seaside resort. Buildings from this later development, reflect the wealth of the town during its heyday as a tourist destination, and include a range of domestic and commercial architecture of a scale sometimes found in larger burghs. Both the 19th and early 20th century growth of the town, with a particular flourish during the inter-war period, included areas of reclaimed foreshore, particularly along the coast to the east of the town and around the pier and pleasure gardens.

(List description revised as part of Rothesay listing review 2010-11).

References

Bibliography

Does not appear on Ordnance Survey map, 1896; F Walker & F Sinclair NORTH CLYDE ESTUARY: AN ILLUSTRATED ARCHITECTURAL GUIDE (1992) p157; A B D A (church for Bridgend United Free Church, A M McKinlay, 1908, plans lacking).

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Other than the name or address of a listed building, further details are provided for information purposes only. Historic Environment Scotland does not accept any liability for any loss or damage suffered as a consequence of inaccuracies in the information provided. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to BRIDGEND STREET, ST ANDREW'S CHURCH HALL, INCLUDING PIERS (FORMERLY BRIDGEND CHURCH)

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 17/08/2022 14:43