Listed Building

The only legal part of the listing is the address/name of site. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing – see ‘About Listed Buildings’ below for more information.

10 AND 12 BISHOP STREET, POST OFFICELB44808

Status: Designated

Documents

There are no additional online documents for this record.

Summary

Category
B
Date Added
23/03/1997
Local Authority
Argyll And Bute
Planning Authority
Argyll And Bute
Burgh
Rothesay
NGR
NS 8952 64643
Coordinates
208952, 664643

Description

Dated 1896. Symmetrical 2-storey, 6-bay gabled Baroque style post office with single storey, 2-bay gabled pavilion to outer right. Sandstone ashlar to principal elevations, bonded brick to rear. Raised base course; architraved string and cill courses; corniced eaves; splayed pediment above balustraded parapet. Fluted Ionic pilasters at ground; simple Doric pilasters at 1st floor. Architraved surrounds to windows (shouldered at 1st floor); projecting cills at ground; carved pediments with anthemion detail above 1st floor windows set in continuous foliate frieze; bi-partite windows with stone mullions.

E (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 2-leaf timber panelled door to centre at ground; plate glass fanlight set in architraved surround; flanked by part-fluted pilasters on raised plinth. Segmental-arched pediment over with inset foliate carving. Large single windows at ground in 2 bays to left and right of entrance; single door at ground in bay to outer left; fanlight set in architraved surround and flanked by part-fluted pilasters. Single window at 1st floor aligned above entrance; bipartite windows in bays to left and right; single windows in remaining bays. Pedimented scrolled gable centred above parapet, "AD 1896" embossed in frieze, armorial panel set in chamfered surround, flanked by Ionic pilasters, consoled keystone beneath with inset anthemion carving and urn-shaped finials.

PAVILION: single storey pavilion to outer right comprising 2 bipartite windows at ground; scrolled gable centred above; flanking urn-shape parapet finials; inset circular detailing; flanked by fluted pilasters; raised keystone beneath and round-arched pediment over with tympanum relief and ball-shaped finial.

Border-glazing at ground; 4-pane upper, plate-glass lower timber casements to main block at 1st floor and pavilion at side. Graded grey slate roof; corniced ridge and apex stacks, circular cans.

INTERIOR (not reviewed 2011, information from previous list description of 1996-7): part-glazed timber vestibule door; glazed counter within.

Statement of Special Interest

10 and 12 Bishop Street is a well-detailed Baroque Post Office building. The building remains relatively unaltered, and includes prominent architectural detailing such as the scrolled central pediment with a large armourial panel. The building is comparatively richly detailed for its location within a relatively small town and this is characteristic of the high quality later 19th century developments in Rothesay which was an important holiday destination during this period. The town displays a number of well-detailed buildings, including commercial and residential buildings, particularly in close proximity to the pier and seafront promenade.

Rothesay is one of Scotland's premier seaside resorts, developed primarily during the second half of the 19th and the early 20th centuries, and it incorporates an earlier medieval settlement. The town retains a wide range of buildings characteristic of its development as a high status 19th century holiday resort, including a range of fine villas, a Victorian pier and promenade.

The history and development of Rothesay is defined by two major phases. The development of the medieval town, centred on Rothesay Castle, and the later 19th and early 20th century development of the town as a seaside resort. Buildings from this later development, reflect the wealth of the town during its heyday as a tourist destination, and include a range of domestic and commercial architecture of a scale more often found in larger burghs. Both the 19th and early 20th century growth of the town, with a particular flourish during the inter-war period, included areas of reclaimed foreshore, particularly along the coast to the east of the town and around the pier and pleasure gardens.

(List description revised as part of Rothesay listing review 2010-11)

References

Bibliography

1st Edition Ordnance Survey (1855-64) Not Evident; F Walker & F Sinclair North Clyde Estuary: An Illustrated Architectural Guide (1992) p150; F A Walker, Buildings of Scotland: Argyll and Bute (2000) pp 615-29.

About Listed Buildings

Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating sites and places at the national level. These designations are Scheduled monuments, Listed buildings, Inventory of gardens and designed landscapes and Inventory of historic battlefields.

We make recommendations to the Scottish Government about historic marine protected areas, and the Scottish Ministers decide whether to designate.

Listing is the process that identifies, designates and provides statutory protection for buildings of special architectural or historic interest as set out in the Planning (Listed Buildings and Conservation Areas) (Scotland) Act 1997.

We list buildings which are found to be of special architectural or historic interest using the selection guidance published in Designation Policy and Selection Guidance (2019)

Listed building records provide an indication of the special architectural or historic interest of the listed building which has been identified by its statutory address. The description and additional information provided are supplementary and have no legal weight.

These records are not definitive historical accounts or a complete description of the building(s). If part of a building is not described it does not mean it is not listed. The format of the listed building record has changed over time. Earlier records may be brief and some information will not have been recorded.

The legal part of the listing is the address/name of site which is known as the statutory address. Addresses and building names may have changed since the date of listing. Even if a number or name is missing from a listing address it will still be listed. Listing covers both the exterior and the interior and any object or structure fixed to the building. Listing also applies to buildings or structures not physically attached but which are part of the curtilage (or land) of the listed building as long as they were erected before 1 July 1948.

While Historic Environment Scotland is responsible for designating listed buildings, the planning authority is responsible for determining what is covered by the listing, including what is listed through curtilage. However, for listed buildings designated or for listings amended from 1 October 2015, legal exclusions to the listing may apply.

If part of a building is not listed, it will say that it is excluded in the statutory address and in the statement of special interest in the listed building record. The statement will use the word 'excluding' and quote the relevant section of the 1997 Act. Some earlier listed building records may use the word 'excluding', but if the Act is not quoted, the record has not been revised to reflect subsequent legislation.

Listed building consent is required for changes to a listed building which affect its character as a building of special architectural or historic interest. The relevant planning authority is the point of contact for applications for listed building consent.

Find out more about listing and our other designations at www.historicenvironment.scot/advice-and-support. You can contact us on 0131 668 8914 or at designations@hes.scot.

Images

There are no images available for this record, you may want to check Canmore for images relating to 10 AND 12 BISHOP STREET, POST OFFICE

There are no images available for this record.

Search Canmore

Printed: 21/02/2020 03:48